Three Kentucky mens soccer players named First-Team All-Americans

Jackson Dunavant

Kentucky Wildcats forward Eythor Bjorgolfsson (9) celebrates during the Kentucky vs. Georgia Southern mens soccer match on Sunday, Oct. 9, 2022, at the Wendell & Vickie Bell Soccer Complex in Lexington, Kentucky. UK won 6-0. Photo by Jackson Dunavant | Staff

Devin Stone, Contributor

Three members of the Kentucky mens soccer team were named First-Team All-Americans for the 2022 season. 

Senior forward Eythor Bjorgolfsson, senior defender Luis Grassow and freshman goalkeeper Casper Mols were all recognized for their performances on the pitch, leading the Wildcats to an undefeated regular season, regular season Sun Belt Championship, Sun Belt Tournament Championship and the first No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament in program history.  

Bjorgolfsson, a veteran from Jessheim, Norway, made his mark during his time in Lexington, playing in 68 total matches with 43 total starts for a total of 3,808 minutes during his four years at Kentucky.

Bjorgolfsson also moved to sixth all time in goals scored (24) for the program, finishing the 2022 campaign with 10 goals, the second highest of any Wildcat, and also finishing his career in Lexington with 10 game-winning goals, putting him third all-time all time in the category. 

Bjorgolfsson has received numerous accolades during his collegiate career including being named to the 2019 Conference-USA All Freshman Team and to the 2021 Conference-USA All-Tournament Team, as well as being named 2021 Conference-USA Offensive Player of the Week and 2021 Conference-USA Tournament Offensive MVP.

His 2022 campaign saw him be named Sun Belt Conference Preseason Offensive Player of the Year, receive Sun Belt First-Team Conference honors and Sun Belt Conference All-Tournament honors.

Bjorgolfsson was also selected to participate in the 2022 MLS College Showcase in Raleigh, North Carolina.  

Grassow, a defender from Munich, Germany, also left his mark during his four years in Lexington, playing in a total of 59 matches, racking up 56 starts and playing a total of 5,057 minutes on the pitch as well.

Grassow has also earned numerous accolades throughout his career including being named to the 2021 All Conference-USA First Team and 2021 United Soccer Coaches All-Southeast Region First Team while also being named 2021 C-USA Tournament Defensive MVP.

Being named a team captain in 2022, Grassow continued to bring in honors, being named Sun Belt Conference Defensive Player of the Year, earning Sun Belt First-Team honors and being announced as a College Sports Communicators Academic All-American for the 2022 season. 

Finally, Mols, a true freshman goalkeeper from Aabenraa, Denmark, also earned recognition despite it being his first season in Kentucky blue.

Not only was he one of the three to be named First-Team All-Americans, but he was also named Sun Belt Conference Goalkeeper of the Year with plenty of years left to continue to bring in accolades like his teammates before him.