Kentucky STUNT finishes 2024 season as national runner up

The Kentucky STUNT team celebrates during the Kentucky vs. Alma STUNT game on Saturday, February 3, 2024, at the Clive M. Beck Center in Lexington, Kentucky. Alma won 17-13. Photo by Brady Saylor | Staff

Kentucky STUNT ended the 2024 season as runner-up to the national champion California Baptist over the weekend.

The Cats opened the 2024 Division-I STUNT Nationals with a 24-0 win over UT Martin on Saturday, April 13, at the Clive M. Beck Center on the campus of Transylvania.

Kentucky took the lead early and continued to have it during the entire game. In the first quarter, partner stunts, the Cats earned all four points while holding the Skyhawks to zero.

The Kentucky and Alma STUNT teams shake hands after the Kentucky vs. Alma STUNT game on Saturday, February 3, 2024, at the Clive M. Beck Center in Lexington, Kentucky. Alma won 17-13. Photo by Brady Saylor | Staff

In the second quarter, pyramids and tosses, the Cats would maintain this lead. Kentucky again earned all four points in the period, while holding UT Martin to zero. The Cats would lead 8-0 at halftime.

The third quarter, jumps and tumbling, was also commanded by the Cats. Kentucky was able to again score all four points while holding UTM scoreless. The Cats would take a 12-0 lead into the final period.

Kentucky finished off its first game of the day by winning all 12 points in the final period, team routine, while again holding the Skyhawks scoreless.

This would be a very big game for STUNT, as a 24-0 score is known as a perfect game. This win would be the second time in Kentucky’s STUNT history that it had accomplished a perfect game.

Following UT Martin, Kentucky faced off against California Baptist in the winner’s bracket.

In the first quarter, the Lancers took the first two points, however, the Cats came back and, in the final two routines, the teams tied, leaving CBU with a 4-2 lead after one quarter.

The second quarter, began with CBU taking the first point. After the teams tied on the second routine, the Lancers won the final two points and CBU took a 8-3 lead into the half.

Kentucky was able to attempt a comeback in the third quarter as the teams tied the first routine before CBU won the second. After a tie on the third routine, the Cats won the final point of the period. The Lancers would lead 11-6 with one period remaining.

The Lancers controlled the fourth quarter, winning all 12 possible points, leaving the Cats to two tied points.

Starting again on Sunday, April 14, Kentucky faced off against UT Martin again in the loser’s bracket.  The Cats started off strong by winning all four points and holding the Skyhawks scoreless.

In the second quarter, pyramids and tosses, Kentucky won the first two points before the teams tied on the third routine. The Cats would take the final point of the quarter and the Cats led 8-1 at the half.

Kentucky continued its lead in the third quarter, jumps and tumbling. The Cats took all four points while again holding the Skyhawks scoreless. Kentucky had a dominating lead through three periods holding the Skyhawks 12-2 still.

Emma Green competes during the Kentucky vs. Alma STUNT game on Saturday, February 3, 2024, at the Clive M. Beck Center in Lexington, Kentucky. Alma won 17-13. Photo by Brady Saylor | Staff (Brady Saylor)

In the fourth quarter, team routines, Kentucky put the game away, winning the first six points of the quarter and 11 points overall, while the Skyhawks were only able to score one.

To conclude the Division-I STUNT national championship game, The Cats (19-8) faced off against California Baptist (21-10) with their backs against the wall in the double-elimination tournament.

CBU jumped out to an early lead, winning the first two points of the first quarter. The teams tied on the third routine before CBU won the final point, taking a 4-1 lead.

In the second quarter, pyramids and tosses, CBU was able to build its lead by winning all four points while holding Kentucky without any. The Lancers led 8-1 at the half.

Kentucky would pull together in the third quarter, jumps and tumbling. The teams tied the first routine and the Cats won the second. The Lancers won the third point and the teams tied on the final routine. CBU led 11-4 through three quarters.

California Baptist won the game in the fourth quarter, team routine. The teams tied the first point of the quarter but CBU won the next two. In total, the Lancers would earn 10 points in the final period compared to six for the Cats.

All in all, Kentucky finished as the national runner-up for the second consecutive season, with the 2024 season being just the third in history for the STUNT program.