Kentucky Women’s Soccer falls to the Georgia Bulldogs in SEC Championship Quarterfinals 2-1

Travis Fannon
Kentucky midfielder Tanner Strickland chases after the ball during the Kentucky vs. Mississippi State womens soccer match on Sunday, Oct. 15, 2023, at the Wendell and Vickie Bell Soccer Complex in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky lost 2-0. Photo by Travis Fannon | Staff

Kentucky women’s soccer (9-4-6) concluded its SEC Tournament run during the quarterfinals against the No. 2 Georgia Bulldogs Tuesday afternoon.

The Wildcats took a surprisingly early lead in the second minute, the eighth earliest goal conceded in the history of the SEC tournament, following a red card given to Georgia’s Summer Denigan
after a handball on the goal line. The foul followed a corner kick struck by Grace Phillpots and resulted in a penalty kick.

Ulfa Úlfarsdóttir made her third successful penalty kick of the season, hitting the bottom left corner of the net.

The Wildcats kept the score 1-0 through the first half, but, even with a man down, the Bulldogs kept their energy high.

Mallie McKenzie hit a cross to find Croix Bethune, who scored during the 63rd minute of the match.

With the score tied, Georgia continued its hot pursuit and hit the back of the net again during the 80th minute, with the give-and-go combination between McKenzie and Nicole Vernis giving Georgia the 2-1 lead.

Kentucky’s six shots stood no chance against Georgia’s goalkeeper, Georgia Brown, even with Jordyn Rhodes’ and Úlfarsdóttir’s two shots on target.

With the NCAA Tournament Selection Show leaving the Cats outside the field of 64, the loss ended the Wildcats’ 2023 season.