Virginia Tech star Georgia Amoore announces transfer to Kentucky

Chet White
Kentucky women’s basketball head coach Kenny Brooks and athletic director Mitch Barnhart hold up a Kentucky jersey during Brooks’ introductory press conference inside the Joe Craft Center on Thursday, March 28, 2024, in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo provided by Chet White | UK Athletics

Kentucky women’s basketball gained another piece from Blacksburg, Virginia, on Thursday, with Virginia Tech standout guard Georgia Amoore transferring to Kentucky.

The move to Lexington came after Amoore forwent the 2024 WNBA Draft, where she was projected to be drafted.

She made the announcement via her Instagram.

Amoore will join recently hired head coach Kenny Brooks, who coached the Australian native for four years at Virginia Tech as the pair led the Hokies to the program’s first Final Four appearance last year and Amelia Hassett.

Virginia Tech also celebrated its first ACC Championship last year after a performance that earned Amoore First Team All-ACC Tournament honors and also saw her named Tournament MVP.

To go along with all the hardware she’s won during her time as a Hokie, Amoore will depart as the program’s all-time leader in assists while ranking third in scoring as she never averaged below 11 points during her entire Virginia Tech career.

Amoore is coming off a senior campaign that saw her average career-highs in both points and assists and, with a familiar face at the helm of Kentucky women’s basketball, it doesn’t seem like those numbers will drop anytime soon.  

Amoore will provide much needed experience in the back court with question marks still surrounding the potential returns of senior guards Maddie Scherr and Eniya Russell, who entered their names in the transfer portal at the conclusion of the 2023-24 season.