Jordan Anthony and Masai Russell claim silver medals at NCAA Indoors

Isabel McSwain

Kentucky Wildcats wide receiver Jordan Anthony (13) makes a heart at UK fans before the Kentucky vs. Iowa Music City Bowl football game on Saturday, Dec. 31, 2022, at Nissan Stadium in Nashville, Tennessee. UK lost 21-0. Photo by Isabel McSwain | Staff

Ian Alvano, Reporter

Jordan Anthony and Masai Russell cleaned up at the podium in Albuquerque, New Mexico this past weekend at the NCAA Indoors.

Both Anthony and Russell earned silver medals in their respective events.

Anthony snatched his first ever NCAA Indoor Championship medal in the 60 meters, finishing with a time of 6.55 seconds, which was enough to take home the silver.

“Not bad for a football player,” Anthony said about his performance in a press release.

Anthony, a freshman wide receiver on the football team, proved his athleticism isn’t limited to the gridiron.

In a literal blink of an eye, Russell barely finished in second place in the 60-meter hurdles final, finishing two-hundredths of a second short of bringing home the gold.

On top of the silver medal, Russell finished the 60-meter hurdles with a personal best of 7.75.

In her Kentucky track and field career, Russel has 11 total medals at SEC and NCAA Championship meets.

Another season best came for the womens 4-by-400 relay team. Russell was amongst the lineup along with Karimah Davis, Megan Moss and Dajour Miles.

The foursome recorded a time of 3:29.08, which was enough to place them fourth on the all-time UK performers list.

Josh Sobota also finished in eighth place in the shot put. Sobota, who was competing in his first shot put event, recorded a best throw of 66-feet-1.25-inches/20.15 meters and earned the squad a point.

At the end of the weekend the mens and womens team would both travel back to Lexington with top-20 performances in their back pockets. 

The mens squad finished tied for 19th place with 11 points while the womens team finished two spots higher, placing 17th with 12 points. 

Next up on the schedule for Kentucky track and field is the outdoor season for both the mens and womens teams.

Kentucky track and field will kick off outdoor action on March 17 at the Black & Gold Invite in Orlando.