Bat Cats prepare for bounce back series against South Carolina

Sydney Yonker
Kentucky first baseman Ryan Nicholson during the Kentucky vs Tennessee baseball game on Saturday, April 20, 2024 at Kentucky Proud Park in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky lost 9-4. Photo by Sydney Yonker | Staff

Following its first conference series loss of the season, No. 4 Kentucky baseball will head to Columbia, South Carolina, for a weekend series against No. 24 South Carolina.

The visiting Wildcats enter the weekend first in the SEC East with a 15-3 conference record with only the one SEC series loss.

For the home Gamecocks, they enter the series tied for fifth in the SEC East with a 9-9 conference record. The Gamecocks lost a series to Ole Miss before sweeping Vanderbilt, losing to Alabama and Texas A&M and winning against Florida before most recently losing to Arkansas.

Team comparison

Looking at offensive numbers in conference play, the Wildcats come in with an SEC best .320 team batting average while the Gamecocks are ninth with a .252.

The Wildcats keep the advantage when it comes to slugging percentage in conference play at .587, which ranks second in the SEC, while the Gamecocks come at ninth with a .428.

The margin thins some in terms of on-base percentage as the Wildcats are first in the conference with a .414 team on-base percentage and the Gamecocks are fifth with a .373.

Looking at the pitching, the Wildcats are second in the SEC with a 3.91 team ERA and the Gamecocks are seventh with a 5.85 team ERA.

The Gamecocks remain in seventh with a .271 batting average against in conference play while the Wildcats move up to first in the SEC with a .212 team batting average against.

Offensive players to watch

The first name to watch for the Gamecocks is Parker Noland, who leads the team with a .329 batting average in conference play, while also posting a .414 on-base percentage and a .461 slugging percentage.

Kentucky outfielder Ryan Waldschmidt swings during the Kentucky vs Louisville baseball game on Tuesday, April 16, 2024, at Jim Patterson Stadium in Louisville, Kentucky. Kentucky won 17-13. Photo by Isaiah Pinto | Staff (Isaiah Pinto)

Nolan’s conference numbers are slightly above his season long stats that show a .282 batting average, .396 on-base percentage and a .417 slugging percentage.

The next name to watch is Cole Messina, who leads the Gamecocks with a .444 on-base percentage and a .508 slugging percentage while also posting a .308 batting average. 

Looking at the entire season, Messina has posted a .290 batting average, a .432 on-base percentage and leads the team with a .586 slugging percentage. 

The last name to watch for the Gamecocks is Gavin Casas, who has posted a .271 batting average, .338 on-base percentage and a .458 slugging percentage. 

On the year, Casas has hit to a .225 batting average, .368 on-base percentage and a .423 slugging percentage. 

The Gamecocks will rely on Nolan’s high average, Messina’s power and ability to get on base along with Casas’ uptick in average to guide the offense at home.

The first Wildcat to watch is Ryan Waldschmidt, who leads the team with a .414 batting average and a .528 on-base percentage while also posting a .714 slugging percentage in conference games.

Waldschmidt maintains his lead in on-base percentage on the season at .506 while also hitting to a .361 batting average and a .639 slugging percentage. 

Kentucky infielder Ryan Nicholson swings during the Kentucky vs Louisville baseball game on Tuesday, April 16, 2024, at Jim Patterson Stadium in Louisville, Kentucky. Kentucky won 17-13. Photo by Isaiah Pinto | Staff (Isaiah Pinto)

Another Wildcat who has been on a conference hot streak is Nolan McCarthy, who has posted a .389 batting average, .429 on-base percentage and a .750 slugging percentage.

McCarthy’s conference numbers are up from his season long numbers that show a .306 batting average, .377 on-base percentage and a .548 slugging percentage. 

The power in conference play for the Wildcats has come off the bat of Ryan Nicholson, who leads the team with an .864 slugging percentage in conference play while also posting a .379 battings average and a .480 on-base percentage in conference action. 

Nicholson also leads the team on the season with a .675 slugging percentage while also hitting to a .325 batting average and a .441 on-base percentage.

Pitching matchups

After starting game one last week, it appears that the Gamecocks will send Roman Kimball to the mound. Kimball has accumulated a 3.48 ERA in his 10.1 conference innings as he’s given up four earned runs and struck out 11 batters.

On the season, Kimball has pitched to a 4.24 ERA across 23.1 innings pitched as he has given up 11 earned runs and struck out 32 batters.

For the Wildcats, Trey Pooser has solidified the game one role as he’s made five straight starts and earned a 3.77 ERA across 28.2 innings pitched in which he has surrendered 12 earned runs. Pooser has also struck out 22 batters in his conference action. 

Kentucky pitcher Dominic Niman pitches the ball during the Kentucky vs Alabama baseball game on Saturday, April 6, 2024, at Kentucky Proud Park in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky won 7-0. Photo by Sydney Yonker | Staff (Sydney Yonker)

On the season, Pooser has pitched 41 innings and given up 19 earned runs which accumulates to a 4.17 ERA. Pooser has struck out 37 batters on the year. 

For game two, it appears that the Gamecocks will send Eli Jones, who has pitched to a 4.80 ERA in 30 innings pitched during conference play, to the mound. Jones has also given up 16 earned runs and struck out 24 batters in conference play.

On the season, Jones has posted a 3.47 ERA across 49.1 innings pitched in which he has surrendered 19 earned runs and struck out 41 batters. 

Every game two start of the year for the Wildcats has belonged to Dominic Niman, who leads the Wildcats in conference play with a 3.71 ERA, 34 innings pitched and 30 strikeouts. Niman has given up 14 earned runs in his six conference starts. 

On the season, Niman maintains his lead among Wildcat starters in both innings pitched with 53 and strikeouts with 47 while also posting a 4.08 ERA as he has given up 24 earned runs on the year. 

With its game three starter undecided, another arm to watch for South Carolina is Ty Good, who has posted a 2.66 ERA across 20.1 innings pitched in conference play. Good has given up six earned runs and struck out 25 batters in his six conference appearances. 

On the year, Good has pitched 34.2 innings and has accumulated a 2.86 ERA as he has surrendered 11 earned runs and struck out 42 batters which leads the Gamecocks staff. 

Game threes for the Wildcats have belonged to Mason Moore, who has posted a 5.34 ERA in his six conference starts as he has given up 18 earned runs across 30.1 innings pitched. Moore has also struck out 26 batters in his conference outings. 

Looking at the whole season, Moore leads Wildcat starters with a 3.98 ERA in his 52 innings pitched. Moore has given up 23 earned runs and struck out 45 batters on the year. 

With the table now set for this ranked matchup, Kentucky and South Carolina will begin its weekend series at Founders Park on Friday, April 26, with first pitch scheduled for 7 p.m. ET.