Kentucky hockey sweeps regular season finale against Michigan

Matthew Mueller
Members of the Kentucky hockey team celebrate during the Kentucky vs. Michigan hockey game on Saturday, Feb. 3, 2023, at the Lexington Ice and Recreation center in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky won 4-1. Photo by Matthew Mueller | Staff

Kentucky club hockey swept its weekend series against Michigan to close out the Cats’ regular season.

Game one, which saw the team celebrate its 40th anniversary, erupted into an intense physical matchup immediately following puck drop.

The first goal of the night was scored by Kentucky’s Marc L’Heureux with one minute remaining in the first period, giving the Wildcats an early lead. Michigan took plenty of shots on goal but never sank one, which only added to the tense environment in the rink.

The fierce defensive matchup continued for the remainder of the first quarter. Kentucky’s goalie, Arley Cutler, showed off his skills throughout the game, only allowing three goals with a shutout first period.

During the second quarter, UK seized the offensive momentum immediately, scoring back-to-back goals in two minutes with defenseman Kyle Burke finding the net off an assist by Gabe Rodriguez, followed swiftly by center Brett Quinn notching the second goal.

A penalty from Michigan resulted in a power play on the ice early in the second quarter, but the Wildcats did not capitalize on the opportunity.

Throughout the entirety of the game, from start to finish, it was evident that the Wolverines displayed a persistent inclination towards aggression, which elicited equally assertive reactions from the Wildcats.

Kentucky center Marc L’Heureux (37) celebrates during the Kentucky vs. Michigan hockey game on Saturday, Feb. 3, 2023, at the Lexington Ice and Recreation center in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky won 4-1. Photo by Matthew Mueller | Staff (Matthew Mueller)

On a cross-checking penalty called against Kentucky, Michigan capitalized on the ensuing power play opportunity with Brandon Stabnick finding the back of the net to score a goal.

Immediately following UMich’s goal, Kentucky swiftly retaliated as Rodriguez seized the opportunity to net a revenge goal for his team.

Michigan swiftly responded again, almost immediately capitalizing on another power play opportunity, highlighting the pivotal importance of scoring during such advantageous moments in the game.

Entering the third quarter, Kentucky gained the advantage of another power play opportunity, yet failed to convert any shots on goal. Nevertheless, when UMich found itself on yet another power play later in the game, it seized the opportunity and scored with just a minute and thirty seconds remaining courtesy of Sebastian Culver.

Ultimately, the Wildcats emerged victorious with a score of 4-3 in front of legends of the program’s past.

Returning for the second night in a row, this time celebrating senior night, Kentucky picked up another convincing win in its final game of the regular season at the Lexington Ice Center, defeating the Michigan Wolverines 4-1 to sweep the series.

Seniors Parker Rice, Quinn and captain Gabriel D’Amico received plenty of love from the Kentucky faithful as they were honored in a pregame ceremony on the ice for their last home game donning the blue and white.

The game got off to an aggressive start after Michigan defenseman Caden Rubischko was ejected midway through the first period after a series of blows to the back of Kentucky players’ heads.

The penalty, as well as one other, allowed the Cats 10 minutes of five-on-four action, but the offense couldn’t string together any goals despite being on power play.

Early in the second period, Burke netted one in on the crease to put the Cats up 1-0, but strong defense from both sides kept the battle tight after two periods.

The intensity continued to grow stronger as the game continued though, and the refs had their fair share of fun breaking up fights after various violent body and cross-checks caused tempers to flare all around.

The third period is where the Cats’ offense was able to really get it going when L’Heureux and Jake Laube sent two more shots in the back of the net to put Kentucky up 3-0 with just over three-and-a-half minutes to play.

Michigan’s Jack Glen showed signs of life for the Wolverines, getting one back shortly after Laube to bring it to 3-1, but Kentucky answered quickly, scoring one final goal in garbage time to solidify the senior night win 4-1.

Throughout the last three seasons, the Cats are 5-1 against the Wolverines, which sends them into the TSCHL Tournament with confidence in their ability to get it done on both sides of the ice.

Kentucky hopes to earn a bid to the ACHA National Championship Tournament, which will be held in St. Louis in mid-March.