UK police notify campus of sexual assault

Casey Sebastiano, Reporter

The UK Police Department released a crime bulletin via campus-wide email on Thursday notifying the UK campus community of a reported sexual assault. 

The report was filed on Wednesday, March 29, but the reported incident occurred on Thursday, Sept. 8, 2022. A student reported being sexually abused by a fellow student.

The student stated that they were sexually assaulted by another student in their dorm after receiving a ride to their residence from a party located off-campus,” the email said.

The UK Police Department ensured the campus community that they are looking into the reported incident. 

“UK Police is actively investigating this matter and the appropriate campus units are working with individuals involved to provide resources and support,” the email said.

UK Police closed the email by saying victims of sexual abuse are never at fault.

“Sexual assault is never the victim’s fault. The only person responsible for sexual misconduct is the perpetrator,” the email said.

If you or someone you know has been impacted by sexual assault, the University of Kentucky offers a variety of resources, and you can contact the Violence Intervention and Prevention (VIP) Center at (859) 257-3574 for additional support and services. 

Incidents of sexual harassment or assault within the UK community are asked to be reported to the Title IX Coordinator at (859) 257-8927 or the Office of Institutional Equity and Equal Opportunity website.