Kentucky running back Ray Davis selected by Buffalo Bills in 2024 NFL Draft

Isaiah Pinto
Kentucky running backs Ray Davis jogs off the field during the Kentucky vs. Missouri football game on Saturday, Oct. 14, 2023, at Kroger Field in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky lost 38-21. Photo by Isaiah Pinto | Staff

Kentucky football running back Ray Davis was selected No. 128 overall by the Buffalo Bills in the fourth round of the 2024 NFL Draft on Saturday.

The San Francisco, California, native became the third consecutive historic running back for Kentucky to be drafted, following in the footsteps of Benny Snell Jr. and Chris Rodriguez, both of whom put their names in the record books in Lexington.

Kentucky running back Ray Davis dashes in the open field during the Kentucky vs. Missouri football game on Saturday, Oct. 28, 2023, at Kroger Field in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky lost 33-27. Photo by Isaiah Pinto | Staff

Battling a rough upbringing that saw him homeless, Davis overcame all odds, beginning his college career at Temple, where he spent two seasons.

After leaving Temple he transferred to Vanderbilt, where he continued to thrive — including in a win over Kentucky — before he finally made his way to Lexington for his final season.

In his one season at Kentucky, Davis ran for 1,129 yards with 14 rushing touchdowns and seven receiving touchdowns, catching for an additional 323 yards. His efforts saw him break the single-season touchdown record from Snell Jr. at Kentucky.

Taking part in the NFL Combine, Davis was graded a 6.17, which means scouts see him as a good backup option with potential to develop into a starting running back. He graded fifth among running backs in production and 10th in total score.

He will look to continue overcoming the odds with the Bills, joining the likes of star quarterback Josh Allen and fellow draftees Keon Coleman (Florida State) and Cole Bishop (Utah).