Kentucky men’s and women’s cross country compete in Sean Earl Lakefront Invitational

Katy Kunc runs in the 2017 Bluegrass Cross Country Invitational in Lexington, KY., which she went on to win. Kunc will be racing in the 2017 NCAA Cross Country Championships on Saturday, Nov. 18, 2017. Photo provided by UK Athletics.

Kentucky men’s and women’s cross-country continued their respective seasons at the Sean Earl Lakefront Invitational in Chicago, Illinois, on Sept. 29.

The women’s team finished 13th overall, with a score of 380 points in the women’s 6,000-meter race. The men’s team took 12th place with an overall score of 274 points in the men’s 8,000-meter race.  

Ally Krueger was once again the first Wildcat to finish, as she set a new personal record time of 20:56, placing her 50th out of 146 runners.  

Three other members of the women’s team set personal bests including Juiz Williams who finished with a time of 21:24.8.

tenth of a second behind Williams was Phoebe McCowan, followed by Mollie Rowen who finished with a time of 21:43.9. 

Jake Allen was the first member of the men’s team to finish, as he clocked in at 23:56.8. Allen recorded his second straight top-20 finish as he placed 12th overall out of 143 runners.   

The men’s team had a total of six members finish inside the top 100.

Ed Bird finished 28th with a time of 24:11.7, Harper Moore finished 66th at 24:46.0, Jackson Watts finished 79th at 24:58.7, Alex Alston finished 94th at 25:11.2 and Ethan Kern finished 98th at 25:19.0.  

The next meet for Kentucky will be on Friday, Oct. 13, at the Crimson Classic hosted by the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.