Kentucky women’s basketball lands first transfer under Kenny Brooks in Amelia Hassett

Chet White
Kentucky women’s basketball head coach Kenny Brooks speaks to media during his introductory press conference inside the Joe Craft Center on Thursday, March 28, 2024, in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo provided by Chet White | UK Athletics

Kentucky women’s basketball gained its first addition of the Kenny Brooks era as 6-foot, 3-inch Australian forward Amelia Hassett announced via Instagram that she would be committing to Kentucky on Thursday afternoon.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by @ameliahassett

Hassett played two seasons at Eastern Florida State College before committing to transfer to Virginia Tech, where Kentucky’s newly hired head coach Kenny Brooks recruited her. After Brooks packed his bags and left for Lexington, Hassett decided to follow.

“Very excited to announce my commitment to (the) University of Kentucky to continue my athletic and academic career!” Hasset wrote in her Instagram caption. “I would like to thank my coaches, friends and family and everyone who helped me throughout this process and gave me the support and guidance. Go wildcats.”

The Australian averaged 19 points through 32 games played this season with the Eastern Florida State Titans while managing to shoot 40.4% from deep.

The season prior, Hassett started in 33 of the 35 contests where she averaged 8.9 points per game while shooting 51.1% from the field.

Brooks still has a ton of work to do with his current roster as there are now just five active players listed — not including Hassett — as the rest have hit the transfer portal following the departure of former head coach Kyra Elzy.