No. 23 Kentucky women’s soccer drops second straight match, falls 1-0 to Georgia

Travis Fannon
Kentucky midfielder Anna Young looks to pass the ball during the Kentucky vs. Mississippi State womens soccer match on Sunday, Oct. 15, 2023, at the Wendell and Vickie Bell Soccer Complex in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky lost 2-0. Photo by Travis Fannon | Staff

Kentucky women’s soccer dropped its second straight match on Thursday, falling 1-0 to Georgia in Athens.

The loss is only the second of the season, following a loss against Mississippi State in Lexington the week prior and brings the Cats’ record to 2-2-4 in SEC play.

Georgia scored first in the 21st minute off a goal from midfielder Summer Denigan.

The score would prove to be the only one of the night as the Cats were unable to score despite applying promising offensive pressure in the first half.

The Wildcats committed nine fouls during the match, one coming in the early minutes of the match and setting Georgia up to score.

After the early goal, Kentucky put on a strong defensive performance with three saves by goalkeeper Marz Josephson. Georgia recorded two saves.

Kentucky would start the second half more aggressive with four corner kicks after having only one in the first half.

Forward Jordyn Rhodes had both shots on goal for the Cats, putting two headers on frame, each of which was stopped by the Bulldog goalkeeper Jordan Brown.

The Wildcats had one final opportunity to score off a corner kick in the closing seconds of the match, but were unable to capitalize.

With the loss the Cats drop to 8-2-5 on the season and will likely take a hit in the SEC standings.

Up next Kentucky returns home to face Missouri on Sunday, Oct. 22, in what will be the regular season home finale at the Wendell & Vickie Bell Soccer Complex.