UK extends enrollment deadline for the fall 2024 semester for first-year students

The University of Kentucky is extending the confirmation deadline for first-year students wanting to enroll for the fall 2024 semester to May 15, 2024.

The email was released Tuesday, April 9 and said the extension was due to “federal delays associated with important financial aid information.”

The deadline for enrollment for first-year students was May 1, but there has been flexibility and time to aid students and parents with making their college decisions, according to the email.

There have been delays in the enrollment process this year due to issues with students and universities getting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on time. 

As a result, students are getting their financial aid notifications later than usual.

“We understand that students must make informed decisions about their college choice and that includes fully understanding the cost of attendance. To that end, we feel extending the confirmation deadline is in the best interest of our students,” Christine Harper, UK’s chief enrollment officer, said in the email.

The university is still waiting on additional FAFSA data for processing, and therefore university officials anticipate sending financial aid notifications (FAN) to students at the end of April. 

Some important information for incoming first-years should know includes:

• After a student’s FAN has been processed they will receive a detailed electronic version via email.
  • Financial aid notifications will be sent out in batches based on FAFSA filing and receipt dates. 
  • If students submitted a FAFSA by May 1 but receive notifications after the May 15 deadline, they have seven days to confirm their spot for fall 2024.
  • Students filing after May 1 must confirm by May 15 without the additional grace period.

According to the email, the university said it is monitoring other extensions including the housing deadline. As of April 9, the enrollment deadline has been the only one extended.