Editorial: We endorse Andy Beshear

The governor who will do the most for students at the University of Kentucky
Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear speaks on Monday, Oct. 23, 2023, before the fourth gubernatorial debate. Kentucky Lantern photo by Matthew Mueller

As students, we hope to have our voices heard, rights protected and a healthier future for the state of Kentucky, and Gov. Andy Beshear is the best fit to do so.

In an unanimous decision of 15-0, the Kentucky Kernel editorial board chooses to endorse Beshear for re-election in the 2023 Kentucky gubernatorial race.

Since 2019, Beshear has worked relentlessly to serve his community, being an active and dedicated leader to many Kentuckains in the midst of floods, tornadoes and even a pandemic. 

As a first-term governor, Beshear did more than just support his community, providing safety and care to those in times of crisis.

While doing so, he actively supported legislation that stood for democratic values, such as public education, human rights, COVID-19 and general healthcare. 

Six months ago, Beshear vetoed Senate Bill 150 despite being overridden by the Kentucky General Assembly shortly after. 

He stood against the General Assembly’s decision and said in his veto message that the bill “allows too much government interference in personal healthcare issues and rips away the freedom of parents to make medical decisions for their children.”

Senate Bill 150 bans the education of sexual orientation and gender identity in primary and secondary schools as well as transgender students from using their preferred bathroom. 

Additional human rights around the decision to use hormones, puberty blockers and partake in surgical procedures are banned as part of the bill, something that Beshear said “will endanger the children of Kentucky.”

After the overturn of Roe v. Wade, Kentucky implemented what is called a “trigger ban,” which bans abortions no matter the stage of the pregnancy.

In an interview with a Lexington television station, Beshear said he recognizes the extremity of the law and supports reasonable restrictions and exceptions, something the Kernel sees as a notable stance in contrast to his opponent. 

In the history of Kentucky, Beshear has also managed to present the state’s “highest and second-highest revenue surpluses,” grown the Rainy Day fund to nearly 2.7 billion and has had continual job growth post-pandemic, according to state records.

As college students, we have lived and breathed education for nearly the last two decades of our lives, prioritizing our futures and what’s ahead.

Since the start of his term, he has worked to remove financial barriers for first-time GED students and provide them with the opportunity to further their education.

Beshear also allocated bonds valuing $200 million for the Higher Education Resurgence Fund, creating the opportunity to update older university infrastructure and improve our academic environment.

There is nothing more important than having a strong leader at the forefront of our state government and that is why we endorse Beshear for re-election.