Kentucky track and field wraps up regular season with new records

Michael Clubb
A University of Kentucky track and field athlete gets ready for a race during the Jim Green Invitational at the Nutter Field House on Saturday, January 12, 2019, in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Michael Clubb | Kentucky Kernel

Kentucky track and field closed out its record-breaking 2024 regular season on a high note this weekend, recording four new personal bests with fourteen Wildcats finishing in the top 10.

The Wildcats saw junior Alex Justus earn his first career event win in the 800-meter race and senior Keaton Daniel finish his memorable season with his third victory in the pole vault, clearing this year with a height of 18’5.50”/5.63 meters.

Taking a look back on the Wildcats season, Kentucky saw three school records broken over the course of three straight meet weeks.

Daniel, being the headliner, launched himself to the top of the national leaderboard and secured votes on the Bowerman Watchlist. 

The senior from Henderson, Nevada, won three events during indoor meets this season, while also improving his current school record to a height of 19’0.25”/5.80 meters at this year’s edition of the Corky Classic.

The record marks the best in Division-I track and field in the country and ranks No. 12 nationally this year.

Along with Daniel’s first career watch list appearance, he was also named SEC conference Co-Field Athlete of the Week after his stellar performance at the Razorback Invitational.

The Wildcats’ pole vault was a standout event this season, seeing record bests for men’s and women’s. 

Along with Daniel’s school record, sophomore Kaitlyn Cain recorded a height of 13’4.50”/4.08 meters, ranking No. 4 on the UK all-time performers list.

Freshman Kate Powers and senior Sydney Steely set respective freshman and school records in weight throw and 800-meter races. 

Steely’s new school record was a personal best time 2:03.53, as Power’s weight throw freshman record was a personal best of 65’08.25”/20.02 meters, ranking No. 6  on the UK all-time performers list.

Freshman Emmi Scales solidified herself as one of the most electric runners this year while also boasting the title of fastest women’s 60-meter hurdles freshman in the country.

Scales concluded her season over the weekend with an 11th overall finish, with fellow Wildcat Alexis Glasco tailing behind her with a 14th overall finish. 

The pair swapped finishing positions in the semifinals as Glasco finished 11th with an overall time of 8.32, which tied for 10th on the UK all-time performers list.

With the regular season concluded, the Wildcats are gaining momentum as they begin to prepare for the postseason. 

Kentucky tallied up nine records in addition to 37 event wins on the season, seeing 76 personal bests in seven meets. 

The Wildcats will return to Fayetteville, Arkansas, where they saw one of their best performances of the season, for the 2024 SEC Championships on Feb. 23-24.