Kentucky women’s golf finishes in top half of Clemson Invitational

Jimmie Miitchell
Kentucky Wildcats womens golfer Laney Frye swings a wedge during the first round of the SEC Championships at Greystone Golf and Country Club in Birmingham, Alabama, on April 12, 2023. | Photo provided by UK Athletics.

Kentucky women’s golf ended its regular season at the Clemson Invitational at The Reserve at Lake Keowee in Sunset, South Carolina, playing 54 holes from Friday through Sunday and finishing in seventh place out of the 16 teams.

On day one of the tournament, two Wildcats tied for fourth place on the individual leaderboard, while the team tied for seventh place with a two-over par after the first round.

Kentucky scored in pairs on Friday, having graduate students Jensen Castle and Marissa Wenzler, who tied for fourth place, going three-under-par. Freshman Cathryn Brown and senior Laney Frye shared 61st place on the first round with four-over-par.

Their combined scores helped Kentucky to a two-over-par (290) tournament total on day one to share seventh place with Michigan State with the Cats finishing just two shots off the top five and five shots off the top three. Vanderbilt sat in first place with eight-under-par, holding a five-shot lead over Clemson and Texas A&M, who were both in a tie for second place on three-under-par.

On day two, three Wildcats went under par in the second round as the team shed five strokes off its first round to form a three-under-par in the second round.

Kentucky got off to a great start in the second round on Saturday, at one point even sharing a tie for fourth place, but the team settled for seventh place ahead of the final round.  

Vanderbilt remained in the lead after going seven-under-par in the second round to form a 15-under-par for the tournament with Clemson in second place at 10-under-par and Texas A&M in third place at nine-under-par.  

Kentucky finished strong on its final hole of the round with four of the five players recording birdies on a par four hole.

Finishing day three, four of the Wildcats finished in the top half of the field with upperclassmen Frye and Wenzler pacing the lineup and finishing in the top 25.

Frye, a senior who had the lowest score of the lineup on Sunday, scored one-under-par (71). Her four birdies and three bogeys helped her record her best score of the event as she turned in a two-over-par (218) tournament total to tie for 24th place.  

The Kentucky Wildcats will compete in the SEC Championships from April 11-16 in Belleair, Florida, before potentially heading to the NCAA Tournament.