Aaron Bradshaw shines in Kentucky men’s basketball’s 81-66 win over UPenn in Philadelphia

Samuel Colmar
Kentucky forward Aaron Bradshaw (2) prepares to shoot the ball during the Kentucky vs Pennsylvania men’s basketball game on Saturday, Dec. 9, 2023, at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Kentucky won 81-66. Photo by Samuel Colmar | Staff

Aaron Bradshaw showed out in Kentucky men’s basketball’s 81-66 win over UPenn inside the Wells Fargo Center on Saturday.

The 7-foot, 1-inch freshman from Rahway, New Jersey, made his official Kentucky debut one week prior in the Cats’ shocking loss against UNC Wilmington inside Rupp Arena.

Despite fans eager for his return, the big man was limited to just 12 minutes, scoring just three points with one shot and one block.

Kentucky forward Aaron Bradshaw (2) drunks the ball during the Kentucky vs Pennsylvania men’s basketball game on Saturday, Dec. 9, 2023, at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Kentucky won 81-66. Photo by Samuel Colmar | Staff (Samuel Colmar)

The Wildcats had a week off from play after the defeat before traveling to Philadelphia for the Malone’s Classic against the University of Pennsylvania.

The location of the game was significant, taking place less than 20 minutes away from Camden High School, where Bradshaw and teammate D.J. Wagner both played high school basketball, and within the same city as Imhotep Institute Charter High School, where Justin Edwards attended.

“It was a surreal feeling to be back home with my family,” Bradshaw said. “Especially with my brothers playing with this team. I was just having fun out there. Everything was my favorite moment.”

Edwards dropped six points in his hometown before getting into foul trouble and Wagner, who was returning from an ankle injury, scored nine points with seven assists, but it was Bradshaw who shined the brightest so close to home.

The big man made what some felt was his “true” Kentucky debut, dropping 17 points to finish as co-leading scorer with fellow freshman Rob Dillingham, and pulled down 11 rebounds for a double-double.

“Yes, (I did expect Bradshaw to have a great game),” Kentucky head coach John Calipari said after the win. “Somebody told me to sub him and I’m like, ‘Are you out of your mind?’”

To make matters more impressive, Bradshaw sank a 3-pointer in the win, becoming the tallest Wildcat to ever score a 3-pointer, taking the title from Olivier Sarr.

He played 29 minutes in the competition, shooting 7-12 from the field and adding three blocks and a steal to his box score.

“Coach Cal and his staff and my teammates, they always give great advice,” Bradshaw said regarding what helped him to be ready for the moment. “They kept me level headed and whenever I needed to talk to them I would. (They tell me) to just be me and play my game.”

He was especially significant in the first half of play, leading the Cats with nine points to help his team take a 10-point lead into the break. He also had seven rebounds in the half, the most of any player up to that point.

Bradshaw remained consistent in the second half, adding eight points which, while slightly overshadowed by Dillingham’s nine and 11 from Antonio Reeves, helped Kentucky to out-score the Quakers by five in the second half for the 15-point win.

“(Bradshaw) on the court (made) our ball defense better,” Calipari said. “If there was anything he could get his hands up and he plays that kind of game. (He’s) 7-foot, 2-inches, he’s going to be overtop of them. I have two teams, I have a small team and now I have a big team.”

The Wildcats have another week off of play before facing one of their biggest tests all season in the CBS Sports Classic against North Carolina in Atlanta.
Tip off against the Tar Heels is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. ET and will air live on CBS Sports. Bradshaw will look to build off his strong performance in Philly and help the Cats to defeat the No. 9 team in the country.