Mark Pope lands highly coveted transfer Koby Brea

Mark Pope cheers at his introductory press conference as the new head coach of Kentucky men’s basketball on Sunday, April 14, 2024, at Rupp Arena in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Abbey Cutrer | Staff

Kentucky men’s basketball reeled in another transfer on Wednesday as Dayton’s Koby Brea announced that he would be transferring to Kentucky.

Brea would be the first of two commitments Kentucky would receive on Wednesday.

Brea, a 6-foot, 6-inch guard who played all four years at Dayton, became the sixth transfer to make landfall in Lexington during the Mark Pope era, sitting behind Amari Williams, Lamont Butler, Otega Oweh, Andrew Carr and Brandon Garrison.

The Washington Heights, New York, native averaged 11.1 points, 3.8 rebounds and 1.2 assists this past season while shooting 51.2% from the field alongside a hazardous 49.8% from three. 

In the 2024 NCAA Tournament Brea and Dayton served as the No. 7 seed where they took down No. 10 Nevada in the first round before losing to No. 2 seeded Arizona in the second round. In that first game, the Flyers beat Nevada 63-60 and Brea contributed with 15 points, two rebounds, and three assists. In the second round defeat, Brea did all he could with 14 points, four rebounds, and two assists in the loss. 

Before committing to UK, Brea was eyeing four other powerhouse programs in Kansas, Duke, North Carolina and the defending national champion, UConn.