Kentucky men’s basketball rises two spots to No. 14 in week six AP Poll

Samuel Colmar
Kentucky guard Reed Sheppard (15) takes the ball up the court during the Kentucky vs Pennsylvania men’s basketball game on Saturday, Dec. 9, 2023, at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Kentucky won 81-66. Photo by Samuel Colmar | Staff

After a week with many upsets and top 25 matchups, there were a few shake-ups in the AP Poll for week six.

Kentucky (7-2) rose two spots to No. 14 following an 81-66 victory over UPenn in Philadelphia on Saturday.

The new spot in the poll continued the trend of the Wildcats ranking in the range of No. 12 to No. 17 in every poll this season thus far.

Kentucky head coach John Calipari collects the ball during the Kentucky vs Pennsylvania men’s basketball game on Saturday, Dec. 9, 2023, at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Kentucky won 81-66. Photo by Samuel Colmar | Staff (Samuel Colmar)

Arizona remained at the top spot of the poll for a second straight week after a 98-73 win over No. 23 Wisconsin, earning the Wildcats nearly every first place vote.

Kansas and UConn were the other teams to hold steady in the top five, remaining at No. 2 and No. 5, respectively.

Purdue rose one spot to No. 3 after defeating a solid Alabama team on the road, knocking Houston down one spot to No. 4.

Aside from Kentucky, the only other SEC team to appear in the poll was Tennessee, which rose five spots to No. 12 after a ranked win against Illinois.

Clemson was the biggest riser in the poll, climbing 11 spots to No. 13. The undefeated Tigers scored victories against previously undefeated South Carolina at home on Wednesday and TCU on the road on Saturday.

Another big riser was Oklahoma, who jumped eight spots as a result of two victories throughout the week.

Following a 27-point home loss to Colorado, Miami (FL), a team Kentucky blew out earlier in the season, tumbled nine spots to No. 24 for the biggest drop in the poll.

The two teams entering the poll this week were Virginia and Northwestern, both of which are one-loss teams who had dominant wins throughout the week.

Texas A&M and San Diego State dropped out of the poll from No. 21 and No. 25, respectively.

As of the week six poll, Kentucky is only scheduled to play three more teams that are currently ranked: No. 9 North Carolina, No. 10 Gonzaga and Tennessee.

The Cats will get the first of those opportunities at the CBS Sports Classic against North Carolina on Saturday, Dec. 16, tipping off at 5:30 p.m. ET inside State Farm Arena in Atlanta.

The full rankings can be seen below:

1. Arizona Wildcats (8-0)
  2. Kansas Jayhawks (9-1)
  3. Purdue Boilermakers (9-1)
  4. Houston Cougars (10-0)
  5. UConn Huskies (9-1)
  6. Baylor Bears (9-0)
  7. Marquette Golden Eagles (8-2)
  8. Creighton Blue Jays (8-1)
  9. North Carolina Tar Heels (7-2)
  10. Gonzaga Bulldogs (7-2)
  11. Oklahoma Sooners (9-0)
  12. Tennessee Volunteers (6-3)
  13. Clemson Tigers (9-0)
  14. Kentucky Wildcats (7-2)
  15. Florida Atlantic (FAU) Owls (7-2)
  16. Illinois Fighting Illini (7-2)
  17. Colorado State Rams (9-1)
  18. BYU Cougars (8-1)
  19. Texas Longhorns (7-2)
  20. James Madison Dukes (9-0)
  21. Duke Blue Devils (6-3)
  22. Virginia Cavaliers (8-1)
  23. Wisconsin Badgers (7-3)
  24. Miami (FL) Hurricanes (7-2)
  25. Northwestern Wildcats (7-1)