Kentucky men’s basketball drops to No. 17 in AP Poll after two home losses 

Kentucky guard Rob Dillingham drives past a defender during the Kentucky vs. Tennessee mens’s basketball game on Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2024, at Rupp Arena in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky lost 103-92. Photo by Isaiah Pinto | Staff

Kentucky men’s basketball dropped seven spots to No. 17 in the week 14 AP Top 25 Poll on Monday, Feb. 5.

The Wildcats began their week heading back home following a 63-57 win at Arkansas to take on the Florida Gators in a game they were favored to win with the home court advantage. 

However, a late regulation collapse forced overtime that allowed the unranked Gators to pull off the 94-91 upset. It was Florida’s first win over a top 10 ranked Kentucky team at Rupp Arena since 1998.

The loss would set the stage for a game with a No. 5 Tennessee Volunteers team, who had also experienced its own upset at home by then unranked South Carolina.

Kentucky fell behind early against the Vols and failed to catch up, resulting in a 103-92 Tennessee victory. 

The late game collapse against Florida and never having a lead against Tennessee concluded a nightmare week for the Wildcats. 

The seven spot free fall is the second largest drop behind Texas Tech, who dropped eight spots in this week’s poll. 

UConn, Purdue and North Carolina remained unchanged in the top three. 

The first change in the top five comes with Kansas jumping up four spots to No. 4. As a result, Houston slid down one spot and is now positioned at No. 5.

Looking around the SEC, with the midweek loss to South Carolina, but a win against the Wildcats, Tennessee moved down one spot to No. 6. 

The Auburn Tigers are the next SEC representatives in the rankings as they climbed four spots to No. 12. 

Making an appearance for the first time in the polls since 2017, South Carolina entered the rankings with recent wins over Kentucky and Tennessee and finds itself at the No. 15 spot.

One spot behind the Gamecocks is the Alabama Crimson Tide, which jumped up eight spots in this week’s poll to No. 16. 

Along with South Carolina, San Diego State also joined the rankings at No. 24. The duo replaced Oklahoma and TCU. 

Circling back to the Wildcats, as the poll currently stands, Kentucky will play three more ranked opponents – two of which are in February against No. 12 Auburn on the road (Feb. 17) and No. 16 Alabama at home (Feb. 24).

The final currently ranked matchup will be in the regular season finale in a rematch on the road against No. 6 Tennessee. 

Next up, the Wildcats will take the court against the Vanderbilt Commodores in Nashville, Tennessee, at Memorial Gymnasium on Tuesday, Feb. 6. Tipoff is scheduled for 8:30 p.m. ET and will be aired on SEC Network.

A full list of the week 14 AP Poll can be seen below 

1. UConn (20-2)
  2. Purdue (21-2) 
  3. North Carolina (18-4)
  4. Kansas (18-4)
  5. Houston (19-3) 
  6. Tennessee (16-5) 
  7. Marquette (17-5) 
  8. Arizona (17-5) 
  9. Duke (16-5) 
  10. Illinois (17-5) 
  11. Wisconsin (16-6) 
  12. Auburn (18-4) 
  13. Baylor (16-5) 
  14. Iowa State (16-5) 
  15. South Carolina (19-3) 
  16. Alabama (16-6) 
  17. Kentucky (15-6) 
  18. Dayton (18-3) 
  19. Creighton (16-6) 
  20. Florida Atlantic (18-4) 
  21. BYU (16-5) 
  22. Utah State (19-3) 
  23. Texas Tech (16-5) 
  24. San Diego State (17-5) 
  25. New Mexico (18-4)