Getting over the holiday blues

Illustration by Akhila Nadimpalli

Yet again, we’ve reached another dreaded January in Lexington, Kentucky, where the days seem to drag on and the city is under a perpetual cloud of coldness. 

Everything goes from presents, candy and brightly colored lights to harsh winters and scraping ice off your car.

With feelings of nostalgia, sadness and worry for the new year ahead, this odd time after the holidays can definitely be brutal. However, there are many ways to combat these winter blues. 

One way to get over this gloom is to celebrate your accomplishments, big or small, like you would on Christmas morning. For example, you survived the first week of class coming back from winter break or you woke up before noon. Whatever these accomplishments may be, don’t discredit yourself for them. Don’t stop making your life feel special just because the holiday season is over, and be kind to yourself.

Another way to feel better is to “reset.” When I say reset, I mean reset anything and everything. Oftentimes, we find ourselves with so much clutter after the holidays that it can feel suffocating. So, organize your closet, deep clean your camera roll or donate some of your old clothes and “reset” before life gets hectic again.

Make sure you are also taking care of your body. Eat a good nutritious meal, and get in as much physical activity as you can. On campus, there are plenty of ways to get a good workout in. My favorite exercise is rock climbing at the Johnson Recreation Center, but they also have plenty of workout classes ranging from cycling to dance.

Along the lines of keeping up with your physical health, make sure you’re checking up on your mental health too. One way that I like to improve my mood during the winter months is to try to get the most out of the daylight. Daylight savings is rough, and when you work, go to school or both, it can feel as if you never see the sun. So, get up early and watch the sunrise, or try to sit next to a window when you’re doing work during the day.

Lastly, to fight these winter blues, you could try learning a new recipe. More often than not, most of us are stuck inside, so winter is a great time for mastering the perfect croissant or trying out a new soup.

One place I love to browse for new recipes is Pinterest; there is always someone out there sharing their recipes and wanting feedback on them. So with that being said, watch a Youtube video, get a couple of friends and try to learn something new and exciting together.

Overall, the holidays can be a very fun and exciting time, but also a very lonely time once they are over. Just know that these feelings will pass, and before you know it, the ice will melt and a warm sunshine will welcome you into spring’s open arms.