At the buzzer: No. 6 Kentucky men’s basketball overcomes deficit, defeats Florida 87-85

Abbey Cutrer
Kentucky huddles during the Kentucky vs. Louisville men’s basketball game on Thursday, Dec. 21, 2023, at the KFC Yum! Center in Louisville, Kentucky. Kentucky won 95-76. Photo by Abbey Cutrer | Staff

No. 6 Kentucky men’s basketball opened SEC play with a come-from-behind victory over Florida 87-85 on the road.

The Cats were propelled by a double-double from Tre Mitchell and a 19-point game from Antonio Reeves.

The Wildcats entered the game riding a four-game winning streak, three of which were away from Rupp Arena, that included wins over No. 8 North Carolina and Louisville.

Looking to continue its winning ways and start conference play on the right foot, the Cats marched out a familiar starting lineup of Justin Edwards, Reeves, D.J. Wagner, Aaron Bradshaw and Mitchell.

Both teams were neck-and-neck to start the game, finding themselves tied at eight-all after nearly five minutes of play.

Things would quickly get rocky for the visitors, however, as costly turnovers allowed the home side to go on a run.

The momentum wouldn’t stay with the Gators for long as the Cats rallied back. In a physical battle, one point separated the SEC squads after 12 minutes of play.

While the Cats would even go on to tie the game, Florida would erupt from beyond the arch, finishing the first half shooting 40% from deep. While the lead was eight at halftime, it got as high as 10 for the home side.

Kicking off the second half, Kentucky would respond to its deficit, clawing back within one point after almost five minutes of play.

In a game of runs, Florida responded with another, extending its lead back up to seven points before a three-point play by Wagner cut it back down to four with under 12 minutes left to play.

Kentucky was able to battle back, but the lead remained in the Gator’s hands with under eight minutes left to play.

Kentucky continued to chip away at the lead and eventually tied it at 74-all with just over three minutes of play remaining.

The Cats would then take the lead with a massive 3-pointer by Bradshaw in a critical moment as Mitchell was forced to exit the game.

With Mitchell’s return, renewed confidence and a multi-basket lead, Kentucky was able to hold on for the victory to begin SEC play 1-0.

The Cats return to action on Tuesday, Jan. 9, for their SEC home opener against the Missouri Tigers before once again hitting the road, this time traveling to College Station, Texas, to face off against the Texas A&M Aggies (RV).