At the buzzer: No. 14 Kentucky men’s basketball conquers No. 9 North Carolina 87-83 in CBS Sports Classic

Isaiah Pinto
Kentucky guard D.J. Wagner (21) celebrates during the Kentucky vs. North Carolina men’s basketball game on Saturday, Dec. 16, 2023, at State Farm Arena in Atlanta, Georgia. UK won 87-83. Photo by Isaiah Pinto | Staff

No. 14 Kentucky men’s basketball defeated No. 9 North Carolina in the CBS Sports Classic in Atlanta on Saturday by a score of 87-83.

The contest saw the season debut of Ugonna Onyenso, one third of the seven footer trio for the Cats.

The Wildcats entered the game on the back of a road win — the first of the season — in Philadelphia against the University of Pennsylvania in the Malone’s Classic.

Taking the court in an NBA venue for the second game in a row and third time all season, the Cats marched out a starting lineup of Justin Edwards, Antonio Reeves, D.J. Wagner, Aaron Bradshaw, making his first collegiate start, and Tre Mitchell.

Kentucky fans were treated early when thrilling play from Bradshaw and the season debut of Onyenso gave the Cats a double-digit lead.

Despite the slow start, the Tar Heels quickly battled back, getting back within six points with under eight minutes left to play.

The game would continue to bring more excitement as the Cats, after overcoming an over two-minute long field goal drought, extended the lead back to double digits before Kentucky head coach John Calipari was assessed a technical foul after arguing with an official.

Kentucky would go cold from the floor once again, allowing an 8-0 North Carolina run to make it a two-point game at the break.

Rejuvenated for the second half, Kentucky quickly pushed back ahead and re-extended the lead to nearly double digits.

Despite briefly going cold, the Wildcats were able to maintain the gap with under 12 minutes left to play.

North Carolina refused to play dead forever though, battling back to get within one score once again with the score at 65-62.

The Tar Heels then took their first lead of the night with around five minutes to play, with free throws giving them a 72-71 lead.

Against all odds, Kentucky retaliated with a 6-0 run to regain the lead and force North Carolina head coach Hubert Davis to call a timeout.

With things coming down to the wire, the score stood at 83-81 with 50 seconds left to play.

With everything on the line, Bradshaw managed to hit two clutch free throws to give the Wildcats a four-point lead with under 45 seconds left to play.

Both teams were sent to the free throw line on their next possessions and after, with 11 seconds on the clock, Kentucky led by three.

Not a fan was in their seat as, on the next possession, North Carolina turned the ball over.

With the costly mistake, Kentucky was able to hold on and secure the victory, the largest of the season thus far.

The Wildcats will return to action on Thursday, Dec. 21, from the KFC Yum! Center to face off against in-state rivals Louisville. Tip-off against the Cardinals is scheduled for 6 p.m. ET and will air live on ESPN.