Campus Housing hosts annual Up Up and UK

Kyleigh Miller
The first hot air balloon sending students up during UP, UP and UK on Wednesday, Oct. 18, 2023, at Pieratt Fields in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Kyleigh Miller | Staff

Students took a ride in hot air balloons and participated in a number of other games and activities at UK Campus Housing’s annual Up Up and UK event.

Up Up and UK, an event open to all students, took place on the South Campus Lawn behind University Flats on Wednesday, Oct. 18. 

Alyson Tate, assistant marketing director for UK Campus Housing and organizer of the event, said the event allowed students to meet new people and learn more about campus life.

The event, having been rescheduled due to the weather, occurred during a week of midterms for students.

“Life can be fun, even when you’re stressed about midterms,” Tate said.

Up Up and UK is UK Campus Housing’s biggest event of the year that continually attracts their biggest turnout, according to Tate.

Students zip lining during UP, UP and UK hosted by Campus Housing on Wednesday, Oct. 18, 2023, at Pieratt Fields in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Kyleigh Miller | Staff (Kyleigh Miller)

“Each year we want to make it better so that students, while they’re here, have not only the college experience but are learning how to meet people, talk to people, have fun and laugh,” Tate said.

The event consisted of hot air balloon rides, a rock climbing wall, ziplining, inflatables, free t-shirts, and free food and beverages for students. 

Food was provided by food trucks, and students were given tickets to get a free meal.

Students came in and out in large numbers, forming long lines across the South Lawn to get a turn in one of the hot air balloons.

Three freshmen, Andrew Gabriel, Adonis Ramirez and Manuel Guzman, came to the event together to ride the hot air balloons.

Ramirez, a business management major, said it was his first time in a hot air balloon.

“The best part was the hot air blowing on your back,” Ramirez said. 

Ramirez, Gabriel and Guzman said they had all come early to avoid the long lines.

“The view was awesome,” Gabriel said. “This is like a once in a lifetime experience, this is so sick that they have this opportunity.”

After their turn on the hot air balloon, they went to the zipline.

“We’re doing it all,” Gabriel said, “We’re doing the bouncy houses, zipline, and we’re gonna fish it with a taco.”

Ramirez said he would “definitely go again” to Up Up and UK next year.