Sorority senior ‘strip show’ leads to conduct probation

Samuel Colmar
The Alpha Delta Pi building on Wednesday, April 17, 2024, at Rose Street in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Samuel Colmar | Staff

After three anonymous incident reports regarding a senior “strip show,” the University of Kentucky Alpha Delta Pi (ADPi) sorority was placed under a year-long Conduct Probation until Oct. 17, 2024.

A report to the Office of Student Conduct said seniors were “incredibly inebriated” and underclassmen were “forced to watch their older members undress and dance provocatively in their presence.”

During the alleged provocative dancing, the report said younger ADPi members told friends in another sorority chapter they were uncomfortable and had a “face full of tits and ass and lingerie” with “NO SAY” in their decision to attend the event nor what was to occur.

Members were also not to discuss any details of the event or they would face potential consequences, according to one of the incident reports. Phones were also reported to have been taken away.

The dance was said to be a recreation of their 2023 Greek Sing performance with choreography that was changed to be “sexy” and had older members stripping down, according to a second report.

Just days after the first couple of reports were submitted, a third followed with similar alleged accusations, including that the “show” took place after the Panhellenic Candlelight Ceremony on Aug. 19, 2023.

An investigation conducted by the Office of Student Conduct reported the sorority to have violated the misuse of alcohol, law and other UK Policies as a result of their actions.

According to records obtained from an open records request, the “silly dance” with partial nudity from senior members was performed in the chapter dining room of the ADPi house with 45 senior members, 52 sophomore members and 10 junior executive committee members to be present at the event.

Senior members were reported to have been dressed in underwear, bras, bikinis and spandex with stomachs exposed, some with their bottoms showing depending upon the type of underwear chosen.

The attire was decided by each individual’s discretion and none were reported to be fully nude nor took off clothes in front of the sophomore members.

Despite initial reports of uncomfortability, a former ADPi president — who was not named in the official document — responded to the Office of Student Conduct on behalf of the Beta Psi Chapter and said “the room was filled with laughter, cheering, and clapping and the mood and morale between everyone involved was lighthearted and funny” on Sept. 11, 2023.

The former ADPi president also said sophomore members were asked — rather than forced —  to put their phones in a collective bin for privacy and the event was not mandatory to attend in their response.

Reported from open records, 10 of the senior members had consumed alcohol before the event, violating the Panhellenic dry period policy – a mandate, according to the National Panhellenic Conference, where chapters are to “refrain from the use of alcohol throughout the recruitment period.”

Records said the event was collectively planned by the senior class and the Beta Psi chapter took responsibility for the actions on Aug. 19, 2023.

The chapter is to complete the following restorative actions: 

• Conduct Probation: Oct. 17, 2023 – Oct. 17, 2024
  • A Restorative Action Plan presentation to chapter members
  • A collaborative educational presentation with national headquarters in relation to events with alcohol
  • An event registration and review process
  • A follow up meeting with their Fraternity and Sorority Life chapter coach
  • Attendance at the ADPi Officer Academy
  • A non-alcoholic sisterhood event

The year-long probation will be active during the chapter’s fall 2024 sorority recruitment process, but according to current ADPi president Sarah Dutton, the sorority will be participating in Panhellenic’s Primary Recruitment.

The Kentucky Kernel was directed by Dutton to speak with ADPi Executive Director Amanda Sloan. Sloan did not respond after repeated attempts for a comment by the deadline. 

Editor’s note: The investigative records contained in this story were received from an open records request by the Kentucky Kernel to the University of Kentucky. Anyone with further information regarding this story, please contact Hannah Stanley by emailing [email protected].

View Comments (1)