Fall Starbucks drinks ranked worst to best by a barista

Illustration by Akhila Nadimpalli

Clarification: Nia Chancellor is a current Starbucks employee under the University of Kentucky.

It’s that time of year again.

Although 80 degrees and sunny is not quite how I pictured fall starting, Starbucks always knows how to bring the fall spirit with their yearly fall launch.

As an on-campus Starbucks’s barista, I get a firsthand taste of chaos, from shaken expressos to pumpkin cream chais.

Here is my humble fall drink ranking, consisting of drinks I enjoy myself as well as drinks I particularly have a love/hate relationship with.

5. Iced Apple Crisp Oatmilk Shaken Espresso
To be honest, I’m not a big fan of apple-flavored drinks. This placement is strictly because of the physical pain I feel to make shaken expressos. The amount of times I’ve started to shake a drink and the lid isn’t on all the way so it sprays everywhere — happens at least once every shift.

I do enjoy shaken expressos occasionally, so I understand the hype, but sometimes it feels overwhelming as a barista because it’s time consuming.

4. Apple Crisp Macchiato
Like I said, not a huge fan of apple-flavored drinks, however I do not mind making this drink. It’s simple and easy. Not to mention how amazing it looks after it’s done. I would recommend getting this drink hot if you haven’t yet.

3. Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew
This may be disappointing with how often I see people order this drink, but I am simply not a fan of cold brew. This may be ironic since I’m a barista, but I don’t prefer strong coffee. This drink is heavier on the caffeinated side than the other competitors. However, the pumpkin foam is unmatched. This gets third place for simpleness.

2. Pumpkin Spice Latte
This might be a hot take for some people, or it may feel deserved for others. The “PSL” is not only second in my ranking, but definitely top two in the most common drinks I make during my shift. I think the pumpkin flavor and the coffee even out, and I like my coffee on the sweeter side, so I don’t mind this drink at all.

If you’re a fan of this drink, ask for vanilla cold foam next time instead of whip cream. Changes the game.

1. Iced Pumpkin Cream Chai

Thanks to TikTok, this became an official drink on the menu this year. I remember this used to be a secret drink my coworkers and myself would enjoy. This is 100% my go-to drink on and off the clock.

It certainly is my favorite fall drink. It’s simple and quick. It reminds me of fall in a cup. If you’re not a huge fan of coffee but want something sweet and savory, this is your drink.

If you love chai as much as me, I would recommend getting an iced pumpkin chai with brown sugar and oat milk — very sweet, very delicious and very fall.

All of the fall drinks are very special in their own ways, and I hope I was able to help someone out. The rankings are not personal. I enjoy my job and find it fun to make drinks all day, but maybe next time there’s a line out the door, you might opt for a chai or cold brew instead of a shaken espresso to save your baristas some stress.