Looking ahead: The 2009 to-do

Should old acquaintance be forgot and never brought to mind?

No. There is no better time than the New Year for UK to look back at 2008 and do nothing but remember it for all it was worth, or wasn’t worth, and try to improve in 2009.

So here’s a hand, our trusty friends. A list of to-dos for UK this New Year:

Security

In 2008, the Kernel reported that 90 percent of UK’s campus had no building emergency action plan. For years, UK has been working on some sort of plan, but nothing has transpired.

After the Western Kentucky University gun threats last semester, UK has put more focus into campus security, but there is poor communication between UK Police and the Office of Emergency Management (which consists only of two people).

The office should set attainable goals for the year and make them known to campus. They should also make a conscious effort to be as transparent as possible and ensure false security signs, such as those found in the Grehan Journalism Building by the Kernel, are removed.

Student responsibility

Two UK students died in alcohol-related accidents in 2008. Connie Blount and Brian Hardin were both victims to what has become a year-after-year trend at UK.

Students must realize that it can, and does, happen to you. Every year, you are the victims. Make good decisions and drink responsibly. Call a cab – most UK student deaths involving alcohol happen when the student decides to walk home.

Todd’s Salary

UK President Lee Todd’s salary has gone up every year for at least four years, while UK’s budget has gone down each year, according to a Kernel report in December. This is inexcusable and irresponsible for Todd.

With his compensation, his salary has become well over $500,000. With the bonus Todd accepted in 2008, departments could have gotten that new hire they needed – and probably paid them for well over a year. But instead, the university’s budget is tight.

If the university’s budget is tight, Todd’s should be as well. No one expects martyrdom, but Todd should realize that the campus might accept the budget cuts a little more if everyone was taking them.

Budget

Todd has not been very visible on campus, but it may be because he is often in Frankfort lobbying. It’s one part of his salary he’s certainly earned.

Gov. Steve Beshear only cut UK’s budget by 2 percent, buying into Todd’s theory that the only way to get the state out of the mess it’s in is through higher education. Todd’s efforts were a success in helping keep as much money in the school as possible.

UK Alert

The electronic messaging system is designed to notify those signed up for the alert system. The Kernel reported in October that there were just over 5,000 students signed up. There are 26,650 students at the university.

UK must focus on a better way to get students signed up for the system – even if it means making it mandatory for all campus e-mails.

The administration has started to expand its definition of what campus is, therefore adjusting what it takes to send an alert. UK must continue to expand its efforts by expanding “campus” and remember that students live beyond the walls of the dorms.

CentrePointe

Todd endorsed the CentrePointe project – the same 35-story monstrosity that students so openly opposed – saying it will “help create a downtown atmosphere that will help us attract and retain innovative and creative students, faculty and staff,” according to a letter to developer Woodford Webb, the Kernel reported in April.

While Todd said he did not send the letter on behalf of UK, a letter from the president of a major university, on the school’s stationery, is basically an open endorsement. Todd acted on his own behalf, and not that of the school’s.

“I can’t imagine a 20-year-old would be looking forward to a luxury hotel,” said Nick Sprouse, the general manager of The Dame, in the April Kernel article.

Agreed.

In 2009, Todd should consider that the interest of the “innovative and creative” may not be that of his own. The development of CentrePointe has been nothing but opaque.

Todd’s lack of discussion with campus about the project added to the complications that led to what is now a mud pit in the middle of downtown. With more discussion, it may have been realized that the project can’t be funded, nor completed in the time left.

Diversity

UK made efforts in improving diversity, as it does every year, and had several accomplishments, such as an overall 14 percent increase in first-year black enrollment between the 2007-08 school year and this one.

As the administration, now including J. J. Jackson, the vice president for institutional diversity, continues to add depth in their diversity, they should look at resources that directly affect student’s lives, such as classes like “Major Black Writers” and “Islamic Studies.” But these resources must be expanded.

In 2009, UK should think of new ways to market the classes so they are better received to all of campus. UK has been criticized for its diversity efforts not being hands on enough, and expanding these types of classes greatly helps students experience different cultures, creating an environment that is capable of handling diversity.

Should old acquaintance be forgot and the old times since?

It’s a time to remember where we’ve been so we can improve upon where we will be. But we must get there together.

And here’s a hand, my trusty friend, and give us a hand, o’ thine.