Program a good start toward fighting weight problems of UK, state

A 15-week weight loss program at the Johnson Center is transforming the bodies of 50 UK students, according to a Friday Kernel article.

The Time to Change Weight Loss Program is available to those students with a body mass index of 30 or more, who are interested in shedding a few pounds and getting into shape.

The participants are split into groups of three to six, and the groups work with a certified personal trainer to meet their weight loss goals.

“Each group meets twice a week with their assigned personal trainer and have a third workout session with only their group members,” said Beth Atnip, fitness director of the Johnson Center.

In this age of diet pills, crash diets and celebrity weight loss (or gain) scandals, it’s refreshing to see this group of students getting healthy the right way— watching what they eat and exercising regularly.

Not only are these students required three weekly workouts, but they must also keep track of their daily eating habits via Livestrong.com’s “My Daily Plate,” according to the Kernel article. The Web site allows the participants to track the amount of calories they intake each day and how many they are burning.

The Johnson Center should be commended for tackling the issue of weight loss, which is not only a major problem in our state, but nation as a whole. Combating UK’s weight problem begins with these students stepping up and making drastic and healthy changes in their lives.

If you are interested in losing weight but were not accepted into the first 15-week program, there will be more to come. Until then, try following the same regimen as the Time to Change Weight Loss Program participants.

Instead of lying around watching TV, grab some friends and head to the Johnson Center for a workout. The facility offers a wide variety of options, ranging from weight training and group fitness classes to badminton and a climbing wall. You can check out the Johnson Center’s Web site for more information— uky.edu/StudentAffairs/CampusRec/JohnsonCenter.html.

There’s no better time than the new year to make a positive change in your life, just be sure to make smart, healthy choices along the way.