With season of ‘change’ comes new candidate for student body president

Joker Phillips is named head coach of the UK football team at Commonwealth Stadium on Wednesday, Jan. 6, 2010. Photo by Adam Wolffbrandt

This election season was all about change.

Don’t worry; this isn’t another column about my boy Barack. I’m not going to bash those feisty little Republicans who are doing everything they can to keep us in a recession. (Keep up that fighting spirit, Michael Steele! Show us taxpayers who is boss!)

But this column is about politics, at least here on the local level — as local as it gets for us.

You see, our university is in the middle of a crisis. We’re bleeding money, losing even more because the state government is in the toilet and our basketball team can’t win a game anymore. Has hell frozen over? Don’t look outside for that answer.

There are plenty of things wrong with this campus: An SG that seems hidden or useless at times, an administration that is really out of touch with the students, and an overall apathy that makes this campus occasionally unbearable.

That’s why I, Kenneth Colston, am going to officially throw my name into the hat and announce my candidacy for Student Government president.

Greek and non-Greek relations are crumbling. UK and Greek relations are about as chilly as the temperature outside. And we put so much interest and effort into diversity like it’s not an easy thing to accomplish. It’s not an old wooden ship dating back to the Civil War. I promise.

This campus is a mess. We can’t even get 55 students to go rally for lower tuition. Seriously, that’s far less than 1 percent of the campus and they don’t even care enough to tell state legislators to cap tuition.

Our system is broken. Our mouthpiece is turned off, silent to our needs and silent to the administration. We need change here at UK.

Why should you elect me as the next SG president? There are plenty of reasons. First, I have been called the moral compass of this campus by at least one person who reads the Kernel and many people look to me for crummy advice. Surprising, I know.

Second, I have plenty of experience: As a four-time vice president of my entire class in high school and as a semi-lousy president of the UK chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists, I am an across-the-aisle worker, having both Greek and non-Greek friends. I also like moose hunting and can see Patterson Office Tower from my house.

I will also ban the use of iPods as a tool to entice students to events they will never attend. I’ve seen the guy who won one every time. He hasn’t had to recharge one yet.

I am also looking for a vice president on my ticket. He or she can be Greek or not, crazy or not. I won’t have a vetting process — it takes too much time. Same for all staff positions and if we can stuff the SG Senate with our people as well, all the better.

We can do this. Yes we can. We can take back Student Government. I promise to give the Board of Trustees absolute hell, as well as the rest of the UK administration. Give them some of their own medicine.

This is change we as UK students can believe in. So that’s why I ask you to vote Colston/Your Name Here. Sure, I put my name into the ring too early, but that’s just a secondary problem.

We can do this, but only if you really want me to win. I could care less. And we can start with an endorsement from current SG President Tyler Montell. We both love UK, Tyler. Isn’t that enough?