Study abroad fair a success

By Drew Teague

Students browsed to see where they wanted to go in the world, on Wednesday, and learned how many credits they could obtain while there.

The Education Abroad Fair, featuring summer session trips, was held in the Student Center Small Ballroom between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. showcasing various places around the world.

“Apparently there have already been several hundred (students),” Director of Education Abroad Anthony Ogden said. “We expect to have all in all about 400 to 500 students.”

Rochelle Keesler, student affairs officer with the International Affairs office, said there were numerous groups in attendance promoting opportunities to take UK students all around the world while earning UK credit.

“There are 24 booths here,” Keesler said. “Some of them are the UK faculty leg groups. There are 16 partner programs that have come in from all over the country for their different programs.”

Not only were faculty and various programs there showing off what they have to offer, but also there were several student groups.

“There are the five student groups displaying what their groups do,” Keesler said.

Once such program is through Arcadia University, a small university in Philadelphia, Pa.

Dru Simmons, the assistant director of the Midwest region for Arcadia University, was present at the Education Abroad Fair, showing opportunities their university has to give UK students to earn credit abroad.

“We have been running study abroad programs for more than 60 years,” Simmons said. “For about the past 40 years, a number of our programs have been open to students who are not studying at Arcadia.”

Simmons said their programs all focus on a close relationship with the various college and university’s study abroad office, where their programs are available.

“It’s all through the relationship we have with [the students] home campus’ study abroad office,” Simmons said. “So they’ll know while they’re there they will stay registered like at UK, bring the credits back here to UK, access UK financial aid.”

One student, accounting and economics senior William Dick, was interested in studying abroad in Spain and looked at various tables to see which option of visiting there would best fit him.

“The biggest thing is my sister did it when she was in college,” Dick said. “She went to Spain and she said it was the best trip she’s ever been on, life changing.”

Dick said the trip would help him learn another language, which would help him with a possible minor.

“I figured that would be something I need to check out,” Dick said. “I think I’m going to minor in Spanish also.”

For more information about studying abroad visit http://abroad.ad.uky.edu/ or visit a First Step Session in 307 Bradley Hall Monday’s and Tuesday’s at 4 p.m. or Wednesday’s and Thursday’s at 3 p.m.