Sex week promotes safe practices

By Luke Glaser

UK’s Sex Week hope to promote safe-sex practices.

The annual event, sponsored by University Health Services, is meant to spread awareness for the diseases that coincide with sexual irresponsibility.

“We are aware that students are engaging in sexual activity,” Brandy Reeves, Health Education Coordinator, said. “We just want to make sure they are being as safe and responsible as possible.”

Reeves, who is in charge of Safer Sex Week, focused this year’s events around the diseases that can be attained from sexual activity, and how to prevent them.

University Health Services have sponsored “tabeling” events, which included “sex in the sack” goody bags, filled with condoms and information on safer sex.

They also drove around on a golf cart handing out goody bags and spreading awareness for Sex Week.

This week’s events will conclude with free HIV testing, which Reeves says is a quick and easy way to make sure you are free of sexually transmitted diseases.

“Someone is considered high risk for HIV when they have more than one sexual partner,” Reeves said. “That is about 25 percent of college students.

Additionally, it is estimated that more than 1 million people in America are infected with HIV, and the Center for Disease Control recommends that all sexually active people be tested at least once.”

The free testing, coordinated by University Health Services along with Aids Volunteers of Lexington (AVOL), consists of an oral swab test with results in about 20 minutes. The testing will occur Wednesday and Thursday from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. in Student Center rooms 112 and 119. The “sex in the sacks” goody bags will also continue to be given out.

While many are unaware of the potential dangers of sexual irresponsibility, students like sophomore education major Taylor Blair are grateful that University Health Services is sponsoring Safer Sex Week. “I’m glad they [University Health Services] are creating awareness,” said Blair, “A sexually safer campus is important for all of us.”