Series focuses on Egyptian Youth, mass media

By Taylor Riley

The “Egyptian Youth in Urban and Virtual Spaces” series continues Friday with a focus on the anthropological perspective of the mass media and Middle Eastern youth.

“Who are these people? And what comes before the uprising? The three lecturers (this year) are responding to these questions,” said Kristin Monroe, assistant professor in the department of anthropology and series organizer.

Dr. Mark Allen Peterson, an anthropologist and former journalist, will discuss anthropological and communications topics, including his research in globalization, transnationalism and the mass media.

“It is a growing concern and body of interest,” Monroe said. “More and more students are getting interested. It is a burgeoning field.”

Peterson, a professor in the department of anthropology at Miami University, was formerly a world political reporter in Washington.

Peterson will give students the opportunity to see the “very latest research and have contact with anthropologists outside of UK,” said Diane King, an anthropology professor. “Youth in the Middle East are making their voices heard in a new way; making a tremendous impact on their societies.”

Peterson will talk about the importance of social media.

“People should come to hear about youth in a different cultural context,” said Karen Rignall, a graduate anthropology student. “It gives a sense of what is happening in another part of the world.”

Peterson will also discuss his new book, “Connected in Cairo: Growing up Cosmopolitan in the Modern Middle East.”

The lecture will take place Friday at 4 p.m. in room 230 of the Student Center.