Softball opens home play, loses to LSU in road series

Staff report | @KyKernelSports

The long awaited opening of the new UK Softball Complex occurred the day many students were heading to the beach for spring break.

“This place is amazing,” UK head coach Rachel Lawson said to UK Athletics following the home opener, a 3-1 loss to Ole Miss. “I really would like to thank Mitch Barnhart and the athletics department for all they have done for us.”

The Cats would christen the stadium by winning two of three on the weekend against SEC foe Ole Miss.

The highlight of the weekend was freshman second baseman Christian Stokes, who had five hits in the three games against the Rebels.

Following her performance over the weekend, Stokes was named SEC Freshman of the Week by the league office Monday.

Continuing their short home stand, the Cats routed No. 25 North Carolina, 18-0, in five innings.

True freshman pitcher Katie Henderson threw the ninth no-hitter in UK Softball history, while sophomore catcher Griffin Joiner went 4-4 with two home runs and a career-high six RBIs.

In the second weekend of SEC play the Cats went on the road to face off with No. 13 Louisiana State.

The Tigers got the best of the Cats, winning all three games in the series.

UK will return home this week for two midweek showdowns, against Western Kentucky at 6 p.m. Tuesday and Iowa at 4:30 p.m. Wednesday.