Ryan Harrow transferring to Georgia State

UK sophomore guard Ryan Harrow during the second half of the UK vs. Vanderbilt basketball game at Rupp Arena on Wednesday Feb. 20 2013. Final score 74-70, UK. Photo by Adam Chaffins

By Tom Hurley | @TomHurleyKernel

Six incoming five-star All-Americans, including the top-rated point guard in the Class of 2013 caused somewhat of a logjam on the depth chart on the Cats’ 2013-14 roster.

The congestion eased a little Sunday when sophomore guard Ryan Harrow announced that he will not be returning for his junior season and will instead transfer to Georgia State.

Harrow’s father suffered a stroke in 2012 and the Marietta, Ga., native cited his father’s health as the reason behind the move.

“I really need to be home with him to be closer to him to make sure he’s taken care of,” Harrow said to Doug Roberson of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Harrow submitted the necessary paperwork to transfer last week and has asked the NCAA to grant him permission to be eligible to play next season.

In extenuating circumstances the NCAA has allowed players to play immediately in the past, rather than sit out a year as per NCAA transfer rules.

UK head coach John Calipari released a statement Sunday after news broke of Harrow’s decision to transfer.

“Given the health of his dad, we fully support Ryan’s decision to transfer to Georgia State to be closer to his family in Atlanta,” Calipari said.

Harrow arrived at UK in fall 2011 after starting 10 games and averaging 9.3 points per game for North Carolina State in his freshman season.

Unable to play in the Cats’ 2011-12 national championship winning season due to transferring from N.C. State, the departure of Marquis Teague to the NBA saw Harrow become Calipari’s starting point guard in 2012-13.

After a short leave of absence to attend to family matters, Harrow returned to the team, starting 24 games and averaging 9.9 points,  2.8 assists and 2.8 rebounds in his only season as an active UK player.

“I got better there,” Harrow said to the AJC of his two years in Lexington. “I built some relationships there. I know next year we would have been really good. It was just real important for me to be with my dad. With him being sick like this, I needed to be there with him.”

Harrow is expected to complete the formalities of his transfer Monday.

“Ryan was a vital part of this year’s team and an important player in practice during our 2011-12 national championship run,” Calipari said in the statement.  “I want to thank Ryan for his efforts and hard work and wish him the best of luck at Georgia State. I know the Big Blue Nation will keep a close eye on him and wish him well as he continues his basketball career and his pursuit of a college degree.”

A tearful Harrow took the blame two weeks ago for UK’s loss to Robert Morris in round one of the National Invitational Tournament.

After the game he stated his intention to return for his junior season at UK, but as his father’s health worsened he decided to transfer closer to home.

Andrew Harrison, the top-ranked point guard in the Class of 2013, is expected to take over point guard duties for the Cats’ 2013-14 season.