Andrew Wiggins says Cats would ‘win it all’ if top recruit joins UK

By Tom Hurley | @TomHurleyKernel

Andrew Wiggins says that if he were to join the Cats’ 2013 recruiting class UK would have the “the best college team ever.”

Speaking to Kentucky Sports Television in Chicago ahead of Wednesday’s McDonald’s All-American game, Wiggins was asked about the possibility of him joining the Cats 2013-14 roster.

“That would be crazy,” Wiggins said to KSTV. “We’d be the best college team ever … five of the top six players going to one school … the impact on college basketball would be crazy.”

The 6-foot-8, 215-pound forward is confident the 2013-14 Cats would end the season by hanging a national championship banner from the rafters of Rupp Arena if he were to join what is already the No. 1 recruiting class in the nation.

“If I went to that team we’d win it all for sure,” Wiggins said to KSTV. “Me, Julius (Randle), the Harrison twins, Marcus Lee, Dakari (Johnson) and James Young, that’s … something special.”

Wiggins, the No. 1 ranked prospect in the Class of 2013, has four teams still in the running for his commitment: Florida State, Kansas, North Carolina and UK.

The Huntington (W.Va.) Prep senior has made official visits to all four schools and was at Rupp Arena to watch the Cats defeat Mississippi State on Feb. 27.

No date has been given for when the Toronto native will announce his commitment.

UK head coach John Calipari visited Wiggins on Thursday as Huntington Prep hosted a ceremony to honor the forward’s selection to the McDonald’s All-American game.

Calipari’s roster for next season is starting to take shape with the news Sunday that sophomore guard Ryan Harrow will transfer to Georgia State to be close to his sick father.

On Monday UK announced that freshman guard Archie Goodwin would not be returning for his sophomore season and will instead enter the 2013 NBA Draft.

UK also confirmed that freshman center Willie Cauley-Stein and sophomore forward Kyle Wiltjer will remain with the Cats for at least one more season.

The national signing period begins on April 17.