UK track and field travels to Louisville for Border Battle

By Sabirah Rayford | @KyKernelSports

The UK men’s and women’s Track and Field teams head to Louisville on Saturday for the Kentuckiana Border Battle on the campus of the University of Louisville.

The meet will pair the Cats and the Cardinals against Indiana University and the University of Notre Dame from the state of Indiana.

The Cats sent a small group of primarily field competitors to the Bellarmine Invitational in Louisville last weekend.

Sophomore Michelle Canterna lcleared the height of 3.80 meters in pole vault, finishing as runner-up.

In high jump,sophomore Joanne Imbert landed in second place with an outdoor season-high clearance of 1.72 meters.

Junior distance runner Chelsea Oswald was named 2012-2013 SEC H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete of the Year.

Oswald is the first-ever women’s recipient from Kentucky and the first athlete from Kentucky to receive the award since football player Jeff Zurcher earned the award in 1999.

As an honoree, Oswald will receive a $15,000 post-graduate scholarship. She currently holds a perfect 4.0 grade-point average and is expected to graduate May 2014 with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Biology.

Oswald and the rest of the Cats are set to host the first collegiate meet in more than a decade on campus.

The Heart of Bluegrass Classic is set to take place at the new UK outdoor track and field complex April 19-20.