Trio of recruits pick UK after attending camp weekend

By Nick Gray | @KyKernelGray

UK head coach Mark Stoops secured the commitment of two four-star players on Monday, following the commitment of a familiar name on Sunday.

Winton Woods (Ohio) High School defensive back Mike Edwards and Lima Catholic (Ohio) High School safety Darius West committed to UK within hours of each other Monday.

Justin Rowland of Rivals reported Edwards’ commitment, while Steve Jones of the Louisville Courier-Journal reported West’s commitment. Both players confirmed the news via Twitter.

The pair of four-star recruits committed to the Cats after visiting the UK campus during a football camp for high school players and prospective prospects held by the UK coaching staff.

Edwards committed on Monday afternoon, followed by West later in the day.

West is rated as a four-star recruit by Rivals and 24/7 Sports. Rivals ranks the 5-foot-10, 195-pound safety as the 15th best at his position in the country and the fifth best recruit in Ohio.

West received offers from Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Louisville, Vanderbilt, Penn State and Michigan State, among others.

The 5-foot-11, 182-pound defensive back is ranked as a four-star recruit by Scout at cornerback. Edwards’ offer list included Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, Louisville and West Virginia, according to Rivals.

The two defensive backs are the 13th and 14th commitments in UK’s Class of 2014, which includes eight recruits from Ohio.

Also, four-star Crestview (Fla.) High School defensive end Denzel Ware recommitted to the Cats Sunday after attending the same camp on the UK campus.

The 6-foot-3, 220 pound defensive end from Crestview, Fla., committed to the Cats in February. Ware committed to Florida State when UK head coach Mark Stoops and defensive coordinator D.J. Eliot were on the Seminoles staff, but had decommitted earlier in February. In April, Ware decommitted from the Cats.

Ware is rated as the 45th best recruit in the Class of 2014 and the fifth best weak-side defensive end in the country by 24/7 Sports.

Ware will transfer from Opp (Ala.) High School to Crestview after attending the Florida high school in his sophomore year.

Besides Florida State and Florida, Ware’s offer list includes Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Southern California, Texas and Georgia, among others

UK’s 2014 recruiting class is now ranked fifth in the nation by 24/7 Sports and sixth in the country by Rivals.