UK community to remember lost lives with ceremony

Paws and Listen sings the national anthem while the Color Guard holds the flags before the start of the UK Remembers Memorial Service at the north lawn on 4/9/12 in Lexington, Ky. Photo by Tessa Lighty

By Matt Overing

The UK community will have a chance Wednesday to remember those who have died throughout the year and in years past.

UK Remembers, a ceremony that honors students, faculty and staff who have died, will take place at the botanical gardens outside the Student Center at 12:15 p.m. on Wednesday.

Catherine Masoud, co-chair of the UK Remembers planning committee, said that the event can be a celebration of life for some and somber for others..

“There are some tears shed at the event,” Masoud said. “It’s just a nice, quiet, heart-felt event.”

UK Remembers is in its fifth year. The event is different from other memorials in that no names are spoken at the podium.

“The purpose of the event is for anyone affiliated with UK to remember those that they have lost,” Masoud said. “We have notecards available to whoever (attendees) are remembering and it can be posted on the remembrance wall.”

The remembrance wall will be posted in the Student Center.

Masoud said that members of the audience range from groups of students to individuals coming to pay their respects.

“Some people passing by stop and linger, which is fine too,” Masoud said.

President Eli Capilouto will speak at the event along with Student Government President Roshan Palli, who will speak on behalf of students.

“The overall theme is of UK as a community,” Masoud said. “Everyone is a part of that community. We embrace you while you’re here and continue to embrace you when you’re gone.”

If it rains, the event will be moved to Center Theater inside the Student Center.