Blaze Pizza supports charities of UK Greek life

Blaze+Pizza.jpg

Blaze Pizza.jpg

Bailey Vandiver

Imagine an ear-splitting air horn. 

At that sound, the members of 14 University of Kentucky sorority and fraternity members fell silent. They occupied the capacity of Blaze Pizza. Excitement and a bit of fear hung in the air as they listened to the rules of the first pizza-eating competition hosted by Blaze Pizza.

The rules: Five people per team with 15 minutes to eat as much pizza as possible.

“I am so ready,” said major. She and sophomore Paige Kington. She and her Alpha Gamma Delta sisters worked on their pizza-eating strategy while they waited for their heat.

After a collective yell of “Fire it up!” the first heat of sororities competed. Each participant tapped out when they could not eat anymore, but rotated back in a little later. Observers showed their support and refilled water cups for the competitors. Alpha Chi Omega won the first heat, and the women had a break while the four fraternities battled it out. 

Related: Kickball tournament fundraises for arthritis research 

Cameron Nasser, an undecided freshman member of Sigma Phi Epsilon, cheered on his team. 

“It’s a great atmosphere to watch everyone compete,” he said. “It’s good for the Greek community.”

The title went to Kappa Alpha with 9.75 pizzas eaten. Freshman Tanner Chadwick, a Business Management major, contributed to the victory. 

“My stomach hurts,” he admitted, “but yes, it was worth it.”

The second sorority heat went to Chi Omega and the third to Delta Gamma. Both competed against Alpha Chi Omega in the final round. After 10 long minutes of eating, the air horn sounded. With 6.5 pizzas eaten, Alpha Chi Omega stood victorious. “It was very accomplishing,” said Sarah Gossett, an Integrated Strategic Communication senior. 

Alpha Chi Omega earned $1,000 for their philanthropy, Greenhouse 17. In addition to the monetary prize, they won a coveted pizza trophy.

Blaze employee Michael Forte led the competition. The company has been working on this event since the summer, and similar competitions have been held at its locations near Western Kentucky University and Florida State University. 

“We’re trying to be a part of the campus community,” Forte said. The way to college students’ hearts? Feed them about 150 to 200 pizzas. Blaze Pizza plans to repeat the event in the future.