Capilouto reminds students of tobacco-free campus

A cigarette was placed in the mouth of the Patterson statue during the protest against the smoking ban at UK in 2009. Photo by Zach Brake | Staff

Rick Childress

Thursday morning, UK President Eli Capilouto reminded campus via email of UK’s tobacco-free policy.

The email formally reiterated UK’s policy against “cigarettes, e-cigarettes, cigars, snuff, snus, water pipes, hookah, and all other tobacco products.”

The email said that nicotine replacement therapy options would be available at Wildcat Pantry locations. Nicotine replacement therapy, also known as NRT, commonly takes the form of nicotine patches and gum.

The email also encouraged members of the UK community to help report tobacco violations on the Tobacco Free website here or to the tobacco-free email at [email protected]

Take Action! Ambassadors and UK’s volunteer tobacco monitoring ambassadors also are helping to enforce UK’s policy around campus.

“Please join me in fostering another year of progress on our tobacco-free campus, a healthy place to live, learn, and work,” Capilouto said to close the email.