Dear Mr. President: Letters from elementary and middle schoolers to Joe Biden

Young participants hold up signs during the annual Holiday Freedom March on Monday, Jan. 18, 2021, in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Michael Clubb | Staff

Sarah Michels

As the Biden administration officially replaces the outgoing Trump administration, the nation shifts their eyes to the next four years. What will President Joe Biden do, and how well will he do it? Will he leave the U.S. better or worse than he found it?

The millions of American adults are not the only ones concerned and curious about the future under President Biden. After seeing other outlets publish Dear Mr. President letters, the Kernel decided to reach out to Fayette County elementary and middle schools to ask Lexington students some of the same questions. 

These 32 letters from third to eighth grade students at Maxwell Spanish Immersion Elementary School and Edythe J. Hayes Middle School, written before Biden’s inauguration, offer insight into the younger generation’s hopes, fears and questions for the new president.

“Stop COVID-19 from spreading” 

In the first eight letters contain students share their Covid-19 concerns, including reopening schools, saving small businesses, and ensuring everyone’s safety, with President Biden. 

“I wanted to talk about the earth and lots of ways we can make it better.”

Several letters cover students’ environmental concerns, especially those related to animal welfare, pollution and global warming. 

“No matter what, the United States should set a good example for everyone else in the world! Which in that case, we should help everybody in need.”

Maxwell Elementary and Edythe J. Hayes students discuss the need for President Biden to help the less fortunate during his term in these seven letters. 

“I would like you to make everyone feel equal”

Many of the students’ letters, including the following 10, asked President Biden to create a united nation of equality and peace. 

“I want you to live selflessly.”

In the final letter Mwamini offers Biden poignant advice for his next four years and also asks the questions many have probably been wondering. 

At some point, every generation’s adults forget what it was like to be a kid. They forget that they already understood much about the world and its problems, even at a young age. In a democracy like the United States, even young voices should be part of the conversation. 

Young voices care about the environment, especially the welfare of animals. They want to find solutions to Covid-19 so they can go back to school to learn and be with their friends. They care about fixing racial and gender inequalities, homelessness and food insecurity issues. They may not understand the economy quite yet, but they do notice the anger, disagreement and violence all around them in today’s polarized society. 

In the words of Maxwell Elementary’s Ruthie A. Moore, “I know this is a letter written by a fifth grader to a president, and you may think of this as just another letter written to you, but really, this is a meaningful, handwritten letter, that I put all my work into for the past three weeks.” 

President Biden, will you bring the same effort and heart to your work during the next four years to make the nation a better place? The younger generation is counting on you.