Kentucky freshman Rob Dillingham declares for 2024 NBA Draft

Samuel Colmar
Kentucky head coach John Calipari, left, pleads with guard Rob Dillingham (0) as he walks to the bench during the No. 2 Kentucky vs. No. 7 Texas A&M men’s basketball game in the SEC Tournament quarterfinals on Friday, March 15, 2024, at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tennessee. Kentucky lost 97-87. Photo by Samuel Colmar | Staff

The second player to enter their name into the 2024 NBA Draft pool without also entering the transfer portal was Rob Dillingham, who did so on Tuesday.

Dillingham made his announcement on NBA Today with host Malika Andrews.

Dillingham became a fan favorite during his one season in Lexington, which almost didn’t happen as he was previously expected to play for the NC State Wolfpack.

Kentucky guard Rob Dillingham (0) celebrates after a timeout is called during the No. 2 Kentucky vs. No. 7 Texas A&M men’s basketball match in the SEC Tournament quarterfinals on Friday, March 15, 2024, at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tennessee. Kentucky lost 97-87. Photo by Samuel Colmar | Staff (Samuel Colmar)

A four-star recruit, Dillingham chose to join John Calipari in Lexington in a move that, at the end of the day, cost him four NCAA Tournament rounds as the Wolfpack went on a thrilling run to the Final Four.

During his one and only season in Lexington Dillingham averaged 15.2 points, 2.9 rebounds and 3.9 assists per game coming off the bench along with Reed Sheppard.

Dillingham, who was characterized by his fans as being “shifty” scored 10 points in the Cats’ NCAA Tournament loss against Oakland, being one of two freshmen to score a double digit point total in a game where many younger players failed to perform.

His decision to enter the draft came as little surprise, as the freshman is a projected lottery pick.

Where is will end up is to be determined, but his absence will be strongly felt within Lexington, which is facing an uncertain future after the confirmed departure of John Calipari.