Jacob Cohen leads UK hockey in preparation for Ohio State

Jacob Cohen first had a hockey stick in his hand at age three, thanks to his older brothers.

“There was a pond near my house in Cleveland, Ohio. My brothers started me skating me out there and I haven’t looked back since,” the junior defenseman says of his introduction to the sport.

Like any sports-crazed kid, Cohen then begged his parents, who signed him up for hockey at age four. He has been a part of one hockey team or another ever since.

“Hockey definitely shaped me as a person growing up,” Cohen said. He added that he’s been a leader of every team he’s been a part of. This includes UK hockey, where he serves as president.

Cohen arrived at UK for his freshman year with no knowledge of the hockey program. He saw the signs on campus and called coach Rob Docherty to see when he could try out for the team.

“I wound up falling in love with the program,” Cohen said.

Cohen says his favorite things about UK hockey are the tradition of the midnight games and the dedication of the fans. The junior credits the fans for the reason the team does so well at home.

“It’s crazy that, as a club team, we have so many fans at every home game,” he said.

With the No. 12-ranked Ohio State University (11-6-0) coming to Lexington to face UK Hockey(7-13-1) Friday and Saturday night, the team will need their fans behind them.

The Buckeyes are led by freshman forward Miles McQuinn’s 33 points. Freshman forward Eric Sperli leads the team with nineteen goals. Junior forward Ryan LaPlante leads the team with 44 penalty minutes.

Junior forward Charlie Hales and senior forward Hunter McFadden co-lead the Cats with sixteen points. Hales leads the team in goals with ten. Senior defenseman Jeremy Schmidt leads the team in penalty minutes with 105.

The puck drops at midnight both Friday and Saturday at the Lexington Ice Center. Admission is $7 at the door.