Three takeaways from Kentucky men’s basketball’s 92-69 exhibition win over Georgetown College

Abbey Cutrer
Kentucky Wildcats guard Antonio Reeves drives the ball during the Kentucky vs. Georgetown men’s basketball game on Friday, Oct. 27, 2023, at Rupp Arena in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky won 92-69. Photo by Abbey Cutrer | Staff

Kentucky men’s basketball won its first preseason exhibition against Georgetown College 92-69 in what was a slow start for the Cats on Friday night. 

Despite the speed of play not being up to par for the Cats, John Calipari’s team was able to showcase its talents in the second half to give the home fans more insight into what type of team the 2023-24 squad might be, especially with some of the team’s big men still being out for an extended period of time.

With plenty of takeaways and analysis to be done from the event, three main points stood out after the dust had settled.

Tre Mitchell will play a pivotal role on the team

Tre Mitchell, a fifth-year senior who is currently on his fourth roster after playing at UMass, Texas and West Virginia, collected 22 points, nine rebounds and two assists on Friday.

Mitchell also proved he can be a deadly weapon from beyond the arc as he went 4-for-5 on 3-pointers and collected three blocks.

Whether it is at the four or five, Mitchell’s ability to step beyond the arc and drain shots will be a key aspect of the Pittsburgh native’s game that Kentucky will likely need to lean on at some point in the upcoming season.

A player that can fit into any spot in a front court that plays at a high level on both ends and

stretches the floor on offense is something that Kentucky has not had for a few years and gives plenty of reason for Kentucky fans to get excited.

Antonio Reeves is more than just a shooter

Kentucky Wildcats guard Antonio Reeves shoots the ball during the Kentucky vs. Georgetown men’s basketball game on Friday, Oct. 27, 2023, at Rupp Arena in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky won 92-69. Photo by Abbey Cutrer | Staff (Abbey Cutrer)

Few will argue Antonio Reeves wasn’t Kentucky’s best offensive player and shooter last season, but the super senior was never known for his ability to attack the rim.

The Chicago native did just that against Georgetown with 18 points, nailing just two threes from deep to give Kentucky fans a taste of his ability from beyond the arc.

The only negative fans could say about Reeves’ game last season might have been his one-dimensional offense skill set, which he proved may no longer exist with his multi-faceted approach against GC.

With Reeves coming back for another season, it might become more apparent as the season goes on that he is not only showing Kentucky fans his skill set beyond just shooting, but also scouts at the highest level.

Rob Dillingham has the potential to be Sixth Man of the Year

While he did not start, Rob Dillingham had a solid outing in his first college game on Friday, scoring 16 points and going 7-11 from the field.

He also showed his ability to share the rock with five assists while also playing hard on defense, grabbing two quick steals.

While Dillingham might not start every game, if he can remain consistent there are few better options around the country when looking at bench players, especially young bench players.

Regardless of whether or not he hears his name announced during introductions inside Rupp Arena this season, Dillingham will be a huge piece for this Kentucky team with national championship ambitions.