Kentucky football’s Trevin Wallace impresses against EKU

Isabel McSwain
Kentucky Wildcats linebacker Trevin Wallace (32) celebrates an interception during the No. 13 Kentucky vs. South Carolina football game on Saturday, Oct. 8, 2022, at Kroger Field in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky lost 24-14. Photo by Isabel McSwain | Staff

Kentucky football defeated the Eastern Kentucky University Colonels 28-17 to move to 2-0 on the season on Saturday.

The result was far from the Wildcats’ best showing as they had several mistakes on both sides of the ball in a game where they entered as 35 point favorites. 

With that said, one player that had a strong showing despite the mistakes was junior inside linebacker Trevin Wallace. 

Wallace came into the game as the reigning SEC defensive player of the week after impressing in week one versus Ball State with 12 tackles.

Wallace has taken on more of a leadership role in the defense in his junior campaign as he is looked at as one of the captains on that side of the football for the Wildcats.

Kentucky linebacker Trevin Wallace stands on the field before kickoff during the Kentucky vs. Eastern Kentucky football game on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2023, at Kroger Field in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky won 28-17. Photo by Abbey Cutrer | Staff (Abbey Cutrer)

“If nobody else is going to make the play then go make it so everyone can feed off that,” Wallace said. 

Wallace continued to impress in week two as he tied for the team lead with seven tackles in the game including one sack for a loss of seven yards.

Wallace has set a high season goal for himself to average 10 tackles per game and he hit that in the opening game, though he fell just short this week. 

“Get my 10 tackles, but besides that just going out there and being more fluent,” Wallace said when talking about how he can improve from week two to three. “Decreasing the mental mistakes.” 

Wallace also created the one and only turnover for the Wildcats when he was able to cause the Colonels running back to cough up the football for a fumble.

“It’s good to see our little mistakes we make so we can watch them on field and tweak that for the next week,” Wallace said when speaking on the team’s performance. 

Wallace and the Cats will have the opportunity to fix their little mistakes when they take on the Akron Zips on Saturday, September 16, at Kroger Field. Wallace will look to continue to build on his impressive start as he continues to be a staple in this Wildcats defense.