Kentucky football offensive coordinator Liam Coen suffers medical emergency at UK offices

Kentucky offensive coordinator Liam Coen coaches his team during an open practice in Lexington, Ky., Tuesday, Aug. 17, 2021. (AP Photo/Michael Clubb)

Kentucky football offensive coordinator Liam Coen suffered a medical emergency on the University of Kentucky’s campus on Sunday.

UK Athletics, in a joint statement with the University of Kentucky Public Relations and Strategic Communications Department, confirmed that the incident happened around 12:40 p.m. ET at the University of Kentucky’s football offices.

UK did not confirm the nature of the emergency but stated that Coen is “currently in good condition” at UK Chandler Hospital and will continue to be monitored by medical professionals with an expected release date of Monday.

The full statement is below:

On Sept. 10, 2023, at approximately 12:40 p.m., University of Kentucky assistant football coach Liam Coen had a medical episode while at work at UK’s football offices on campus. He is currently in good condition at UK Chandler Hospital while doctors and medical personnel continue to monitor him and he is expected to be released Monday. Out of respect for his privacy and that of his family, we will have no additional comment at this time.”

Coen and the Wildcats were victorious over Eastern Kentucky University just one day ago at Kroger Field, with the offensive coordinator speaking to credentialed media after the game as well.

Kentucky is scheduled to continue practice as originally anticipated as it prepares for its upcoming matchup against Akron on Saturday, Sept. 16.

No further information is available at this time.