Donors continue giving to UK event despite economy

UK students, alumni and fans have always claimed to bleed blue. Now their true colors are showing by continuing to contribute to DanceBlue during the country’s tough economic times.

According to a Monday Kernel article, DanceBlue raised $424,000 last year. Townsend Miller, DanceBlue corporate relations chair, said he expects the fundraising effort to match last year’s — if not bypass it.

“Corporate-wise, we’re on track to do pretty well — pretty much as on track as we were last year,” Miller said in the article. “It’s a big surprise as with the economy doing how it is, but we’re doing pretty well.”

The surprise is, in large part, to UK students. Year after year, they continue to raise more money for a great cause. DanceBlue helps raise money for the UK Pediatric Oncology Clinic, which is put toward researching childhood cancer. The 24-hour dance marathon originated in 2006 and has raised over $750,000 since.

The effort to raise more money than last year by students can already been seen by the increase of teams participating in DanceBlue. According to the article, 65 teams participated in 2008. This year, over 90 teams have signed up, ranging from groups of friends to those in Greek organizations.

Colin Wheeler, DanceBlue’s marketing chair, said while the economy has affected fundraising in some ways, it has also allowed for new donors to help.

“It’s a give and take,” Wheeler said in the article. “In certain ways, we’re not getting as much from certain people. However, when we’re thinking down on that, a new donor appears and gives us even more than what we lost.”

Students will continue to have a chance to donate to DanceBlue in various ways, Wheeler said. There will be a week of events scheduled leading up to the event. Students have already been able to help donate by participating in a 5K marathon, ice skating nights and a night at The Moon.

If you ever wanted to show that you truly bleed blue, this is a perfect opportunity — whether you do it by dancing for 24 hours, donating money to a team or supporting DanceBlue through the various events. All the proceeds go to an amazing cause, and it truly shows UK cares.