UK Police limited, Cat’s Path not keeping campus safe

I don’t feel safe on campus and I’ll tell you why I don’t. First off, like the Kernel’s article stated on Feb. 9, — ”Police patrol Cat’s Path more by car than foot” — there are only five officers from UK Police on patrol and they aren’t always seen and available for immediate help. Since one girl was even attacked on the Cat’s Path itself, I wonder if I should double up on the pepper spray.

Let’s say I were attacked and reported it to UK Police. Let’s make it even more interesting and say I filed charges against my attacker. The catch is, my attacker was never caught and there were no witnesses. So, are the police going to believe me? I wouldn’t lie about something as serious as getting attacked, right?

Another reason I don’t feel safe is because the police probably won’t take me seriously. So, someone presses charges and the perpetrator is never caught — what happens? Apparently UK Police doesn’t want the hassle so they sweep the problem under a rug as if nothing ever happened.

I don’t have respect for quitters, and with the way UK Police is acting, it’s almost like they are giving up on, not only my, but everyone’s campus safety. It makes me feel as if I can’t go to them and trust them with what has happened.

Who can we go to? Who can we trust to take care of dangerous situations we are put into? I honestly don’t think I’d go to UK Police. They might try and talk me out of something that happened to me. You know, they might just sweep it under the rug. Like it never happened.

Mia Upton

agricultural education freshman