Student Center gets an upgrade

By Kelsey Caudill

For the first time in 29 years, the most popular hangout on campus is getting a makeover.

UK’s 73-year-old Student Center will receive a $23 million renovation beginning this summer.

Proposed by the Student Government Association, the project involves improvements in infrastructure and aesthetics, Vice President for Student Affairs Robert Mock said.

Student Center Director John Herbst said this project is crucial to the improvement of the university.

“On most every campus in the United States, the Student Center is the front door to the campus,” Herbst said.  “Visitors usually come to the Student Center, if not as the final destination, at the very least to get directions to where they are going.  It is a lasting first impression and has a tremendous impact on recruitment and the overall image of the university.”

Student Government President Ryan Smith said the renovation plan resulted from negotiations between SG and UK administrators, including Mock, Herbst, Vice President of Facilities Bob Wiseman, Finance and Administration Executive Vice President Frank Butler and Treasury Vice President Angie Martin.

“This is going to be an effort to transform the student center from a building that in many respects is reminiscent of a 1960-style building to a 21st century student center that has the amenities and services that students are used to,” Smith said.

Mock said $18 million will go toward improvements in the infrastructure and $5 million will go toward a cosmetic face lift.

Despite this budget outline, Mock said the funds appropriated will not be split exactly by these guidelines.

“The reason it’s not as clean is because when certain things get done that qualify as infrastructure — like removing asbestos — they will serve a dual purpose,” Mock said.

Structural improvements that are necessary to follow proper building codes will also clean up the appearance of the Student Center.

“Plumbing and ventilation systems are not sexy, but they’re necessary,” Mock said.  “We’re trying to take every advantage we can to make the place look better than it already does.”

Mock said the project will be funded by $17.8 million in bond authority, reserve funds — including a $1 million contribution from President Lee Todd — and increases in student fees for the current and upcoming school years.

This project spurred from the absence of Student Center renovations since 1982 and the need to update the building to reflect student efforts, said Smith.

“We looked at what the student fees were going to be increasing by,” Smith said.  “I wasn’t comfortable with student fees continuing to increase on the Student Center without students able to see any improvements.”

Mock said the university will work with the project budget to reflect student interests as best it can.

“We’re going to try to stretch the $23 million as far as we can and get as much bang for the buck as possible,” Mock said.

Mock said renovations will begin in phases this summer and last between 18 to 24 months to avoid shutting the building down.

Smith said that student input is vital to the process.  Surveys about Student Center renovations will be distributed after the new president is elected, he said.

“A lot of these projects aren’t going to happen for several months,” Smith said.  “Our administration ends May 1.  The next administration is going to work with Dr. Mock and John Herbst to get surveys together.”

Smith said the surveys will include a section asking students about their highest priority for the Student Center and a suggestion box for improvements.

“Everybody that made this possible wants student input,” Smith said.  “This is a student center, not an administrator center.”

Although the university is not building a new facility, Smith said the goal is to create a more inviting and open facility that resembles modern architecture.

“The realistic situation here is that we’re not building the new Student Center, but the hope is that with this $23 million renovation effort, students will be able to see a major notable difference in the Student Center from this past year to when it’s complete,” Smith said.

Related:

Trustees talk prez search, renovations