Delta Room: Inside the control center of campus

The urinals at Commonwealth Stadium and the bells at Barker Hall are controlled from the same room at UK.

These campus functions and more — many more — are controlled in the Delta Room, UK’s central command for energy management.

The Delta Room got its name from its original energy management system, the Delta System, said Galen Tolliver, the room’s supervisor.

When someone would call, the room’s workers would respond with, “Delta Room,” Tolliver said.

One of the ways the Delta Room managed energy is handling the many schedules of buildings on campus, he said.

The Delta Room controls everything from animal laboratories in Kastle Hall, which have narrow temperature limits, to flushing the toilets at Commonwealth Stadium — they’re flushed every two minutes during games — to ringing the bells at Barker Hall.

Tolliver said his staff oversees the energy for auxiliary services, residence halls, athletics and food services. The Delta Room doesn’t oversee the medical campus.

One of the services the room provides to campus is for people who are on campus during hours when buildings aren’t normally in use. Tolliver said anyone can call the Delta Room to request the fan be turned on for two hours, if they need heat or need cool.

When someone calls the room, they don’t get an answering machine.

“You get to talk to a person when you call the Delta Room,” Tolliver said.

He said the room doesn’t have a high turnover rate — many of the workers in the room have been there for more than 15 years.

Ross Reasor, a dispatcher in the Delta Room, is one of the “newer workers” having only been at the room for six or seven years.

“He won’t let us leave,” Reasor joked.

This Delta Room is formally room 233a of the Peterson Service Building. The room is hidden away from the hallway on the second floor, so as one walks down the hallway, the rooms jump from 232 to 234.

The room itself is lit with the light of many computer monitors. Alarms, notifications and printers give the room constant sound.

Tolliver said they change the alarm sounds every couple of months to make sure his workers don’t start ignoring the sounds.

Two of the current sounds are “counsel” and “warp core collapse in 10 seconds.”

One of the monitors in the room shows elevators in residence halls.

Tolliver said Thursday nights provide for some amusing footage and the night after the Beaux Arts Ball is one of the best for watching the elevators.

Since the Delta Room is an interior room, it has no outside windows. To liven up the room, Tolliver requested pictures to be put up where the interior windows are, and ended up with a full-wall photo.

“I asked for two windows and I ended up with a mural,” Tolliver said.